too ricks 003 overheating volvo

Brysinsky

Cadet
Hi every one, I think that the reason my penta 230 is over heating is due too a restricted exaust manifold. Ricks, you should be able to test the voltage on your alternator, Im not an expert but beleive it shouldnt read over 14 volts just test the voltage at the battery when it is running. Any one please feel free to correct me if I am wrong..hate to give inaccurate advice.<br /><br />So you Captains out their, Can I remove and clean the mannifold and get one more season out of her?<br />A new one is $300 plus and the wife is NOT impressed.<br />thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: too ricks 003 overheating volvo

You may be able to take it to a local sandblaster and get him to try. Ive have some good luck doing that, but if you haven't dug-in yet, be ready for the inevitable broken-off bolts. It's a job I all but refuse to do...hate it! But use plenty of bolt blaster and tap each one ,and spray it some more, then leave it sit and soak for a few days,while keep them wet with likid wrench juice.<br />And say three Hail Mary's (you cn tell I'm Catholic) <br /> :)

Brysinsky

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up footer, I have had my share of broken bolts, nothing more fun than dealing with that mess. I have a freind with a sand blaster and will give it a try. gotta go find my liquid wrench...<br />thanks!

G DANE

Commander

Hi Brizinsky<br /><br />Before you start that job, i´d suggest you to disconnect all tubes to manifold and test flow by connecting a freshwaterhose directly to buttom tube. See if you can get flow. <br /><br />I once cleaned out a manifold just by removing the lid in the end and the elbow tube in back. It was blocked by wintherizing oil, in a thick layer. I cleaned it out with a piece of steelwire. Everything was fine afterwards, and I saved the broken bolts. I just heated the four at elbow up before loosening.

Brysinsky

Cadet

Sounds good G Dane I'll try that and let you Know<br />Once again I am greatfull for the time you all selflessly dedicate to helping us unfortunates with boating disease!