Too much trailer?

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at a new 19' Alumacraft
Boat/motor/batteries/full gas = approx 2600lbs
Most in state trips, I'd add about 200lbs of gear
A couple vacation trips a year, probably add 300lbs more (food/beer/etc)
So I'm looking at around 3100lbs max

2 dealers want to fit me in a 3100lb single axle
1 says 4000lb tandem.

I'm leaning toward the tandem, but is 4000lbs overkill? Will the boat take a beating on a trailer that is that much over-rated?

Thanks,
Gary

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too much trailer?

Personally, I would go with the tandem. That way if one tire blows you got another one on that side and don't risk flipping the trailer. The boat shouldn't take a beating on a larger trailer, adjust the winch if it is too far forward, and make sure you use tie-down straps and keep them snug, you shouldn't have any problems.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tandem trailer will actually ride better. That is only 900 pounds heavier. With two axle the leaf springs might be lighter and ride better. That and I have always found tandem axle to pull better ther is more movement in the axles with the way they are tied together so they ride over bumps better.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was quick, thanks.
Forgot to add 1 more question

Shorlandr vs Venture, any opinions?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Well, down here ShoreLandr is more common, never heard any complaints about them. I don't remember seeing any Ventures, come to think of it. .

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a shorelandr and it is built very well can't speak for the other never owned one

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the weight you have estimated is minus the weight of the trailer, then 4000# is a given. As far as the tire, spring, axle capacity is concerned, the trailer frame is carried weight just like the boat. Trailer capacity is generally stated in GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) which is the total weight including the trailer. Axle rating is just one factor when considering a trailer. Tire capacity, spring rate, and axle capacity determine GVWR. The weaker of the three will be the limit regardless what the other two are.

45Auto

Commander

Don't think there is much difference between the brands, I would select the trailer based on material. Either aluminum or galvanized steel is fine. Painted steel is just waiting for the opportunity to rust away on you at the slightest scratch.

My first boat had a galvanized Venture trailer, I sold it with the boat when it was 10 years old and it still looked like new. I currently have one galvanized and one aluminum trailer, no problems with either. I've looked at many 5 to 10 year old boats for sale with plain painted steel trailers, every one of them has had bad rust problems and would have to be replaced. That's why I end up just "looking" at them, when you factor in the cost of replacing the trailer they're asking too much for the boat .....

It also depends on where you're at. Fresh-water only painted steel would probably be OK. Down here it's either salt or brackish, so plain steel goes away quick.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Trailer will definitely be galvanized.
Estimated weight of 3100lbs I gave is minus trailer

Shorelandr website lists specs as:
Capacity: 4000 lbs.
Ship Weight: 910 lbs.
GVWR: 5440 lbs.
GAWR: 2720 lbs.

Gary