too much outboard for the boat?

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
saw a local ad for a Honda bf130 (haven't found out the year yet but it's fuel injected), from my research, it's weighs about 500 lb. is it too much for my boat? it's a 1967 20' half-cabin bought recently. Transom seems to be in good shape, there's a small dry rot about 2 inch in diameter, it hasn't rotten thru but maybe 1/3 of the plywood.

currently, it has a 65hp evinrude that weighs only 250lb.

20230124_071319.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How did you come to the conclusion that there is only a small bit of Rot in the Transom?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any rot in the transom means the transom must be replaced.

because years before there is rot, there is moisture and the mildew and fungus that eats the wood is already there

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The motor is probably OK for the boat HP wise. I would not think the weight is an issue either.

alldodge

Staff member
I would start with what is max HP for the boat then find out how much that 2 stroke weighted.

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How did you come to the conclusion that there is only a small bit of Rot in the Transom?
I poked around the transom with a screwdriver from the inside previously, also tapped with a mallet from the outside, sounds pretty solid. but will do the screwdriver thing more thoroughly when i have a chance.
20230128_125141.jpg

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Doubling the weight and going twice the hp on a boat with a rotten or partially rotten transom is an accident looking for a place to happen !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I poked around the transom with a screwdriver from the inside previously, also tapped with a mallet from the outside, sounds pretty solid. but will do the screwdriver thing more thoroughly when i have a chance.
View attachment 376578
based on the pic......that transom is rotten. only way to stick a screw driver into a good transom is with a 5# fist maul. take a 5/16" drill bit, drill into it about 1" deep from the inside at a few places. bet the shavings come out dark, wet and smelling like rotten mulch

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the pic, I can see many cracks in the paint/resin, indicating flexing. I agree with Scott's conclusion as well

Last edited:

Chief Petty Officer
Transom rot is always worse than what little you think you might have.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor that is on there now is about 230 lbs.----If you are going to hang a 500 lb motor on there you need a new transom !!-----Chances of structure under the floor ( stringers ) having survived 50 years or so are not good either.---Some will argue.----This boat needs lots of work to be safe for big open water.