Too much engine noise

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
At anything above idle speed the engine sound in my boat is pretty overpowering, you almost have to yell at passengers for them to hear you.

I've got a 3.0L Mercruiser with a fiberglass doghouse that has small seats on either side of it and a sunpad/seatbacks lid that folds down over the rear of the doghouse. Underneath the (removable) seat bottoms on either side of the doghouse it is completely open, also the doghouse doesn't extend all the way back to the transom, it stops about 1 foot from the transom.

How much more can I close off the engine compartment without worrying about heat buildup/fumes? The boat has the factory fresh air venting and blower to suck the fumes from the bilge and blow them out the rear of the boat.

Here is a partial picture of it.. I removed the pale hoosier from the picture that was laying on the sunpad.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 0

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Too much engine noise

Dynamat or some fiberglass duct board glued to whatever pieces the sound is coming from. Below deck engine compartments are the only ones I find very quiet. My bayliner is also loud with the V8.

Small boats though will be loud in other ways such as the water across the hull. So it is a no win situation.

cheetah90

Seaman

I have about the same fiberglass engine cover and i too have been thinking of safe ways to deaden the engine noise a bit, I know the 3.0 is a noisy motor but under a fiberglass doghouse its amplified.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

It's not "bad" noises, just engine noise, these little 4cylinders are pretty loud!

The fiberglass doghouse in mine already has sound insulation in it, there are just so many open areas between the engine compartment and passenger compartment that the sound easily travels right on out.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... This should be in the general boating forum,...
It really has Nothing to do with motors or drives...

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JUST AN IDEA:

> Underneath the (removable) seat bottoms on either side of the doghouse it is
> completely open.

Take some marine carpet and use snaps on four corners to close up the opening.
Also, attach some sound proofing stuff to the back of the carpet

> also the doghouse doesn't extend all the way back to the transom, it stops
> about 1 foot from the transom.

I would do marine carpet and sound proofing but you Velcro instead of snaps. (no holes in the dog house)

Sam

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Interesting. With both engines running all I get is a slight hummm, and lots of wind noise. 8)
Under-carpet sound deadening padding would probably work very well to line the doghouse.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Jeepnsam: I do like the marine carpet idea with soundproofing on the back..

Or maybe even a couple pieces of painted plywood with marine carpeting on the front, but make them removable.

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Searay has the marine carpet with snaps...i just added more sound proofing.

> Location: St Louis, MO

I'm from St. Louis (living in San Diego since 1989) graduated in 1987 from Parkway Central in Chesterfield. Was just at the Ozarks for a trade show a few months back..but it was before the sunshine months :(

Small world

45Auto

Commander

You guys with the noisy engines should be happy. Haven't you seen all the threads from people wanting to put thru-hulls on their boat to make it louder? Just think how much money you're saving by having a boat you can't hear anybody in without spending the money on thru-hulls! :)

Maybe we can reference the next thru-hull poster to this thread ......