Too Bow high ???

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have noticed that my bow always rides fairly high at crusing speed even with the tabs in the bow down position and drive fully in which does help but still seems high comapred to other boats I have had, the only time when it really goes down is nearly at wot at around 30mph. is there anything I can do to bring the bow down? was wondering about the doel-fin things that go on the out drive or do I need bigger tabs ??
Have no real weight in the back that I can move forward, or should I consider putting more weight i the bow? i.e ballast sand/iron ?

1992 Trophy 2359-Merc 4.3 v6 alpha one gen2

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Too Bow high ???

I'm sure some of the trim tab gurus will chime in, but they will say stay away from the doelfin......
Ya might ask this in the non engine topic forum......:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On some hulls it's the nature of the critter so they cut down the bow so that you can see over it in that situation......ProCraft and SeaRay for a couple.

Weight forward would help, but the more weight the more hp required to overcome it. Now if you could move something you need (like fuel) forward, it would help.

I recall a friends 18' SeaRay back in the late '70's which was an 18' closed deck, 165 Mercruiser. It had the bow cut down and had the fuel tank forward under the deck. Handled nicely to 45mph as I recall.

Course personally, I like having the bow up at times, like you are in a storm and are trying to get home. So I personally would tolerate the high bow to have it available when I needed it.

HTH

Mark

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

A doelfin would help reduce bowrise, but it may also reduce your top end speed. I would leave it as it is, bow rise comes in handy for rough weather.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

On some hulls it's the nature of the critter so they cut down the bow so that you can see over it in that situation......

When you say cut down the bow, how do you mean exactley. Sorry for being a dimwhit !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

They just push the deck down in the bow (front) rather than it being a straight line from transom to bow. Go to the ProCraft site on www and you'll see what I mean.

Mark