tongue weight

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checked the previous posts and did not find my answer so.... Here I am. If there is a thread, I apologize, please re-direct me.

I have a 1994 Suntracker Party Hut 30 ft. It has the swim platform and the small third too/transom in the rear. I have seen weight specs online from 2300 lb to 4700 lb?? anyway, the trailer I purchased to boat with was a dangerous piece of junk so I purchased a new Wolverine Triple Axle trailer that is plenty of trailer for my boat. Just switched over to the new trailer last week. I have noticed a great deal of tongue weight compared to the old trailer. (had tongue on cinder block on the tongue in the driveway and it broke it. I could lift the old tongue with the boat on it (working pretty hard though). I can not even budge the new one myself. The Wolverine Rep told me that I could move the axles forward or back if needed. I can go to a truck stop and weigh the boat and then just the tongue. My question is, "Is there a formula or percentage that I should be shooting for? When walking across the deck of the boat it bounces up and down. I did not notice any undue porpoising as I was pulling the rig. I don't want to be applying undo torque on the trailer. "It isn't paid for yet" :) Thanks in advance....

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: tongue weight

Typically for boats, you want 10% of the total (boat and trailer) weight to be the tongue weight.
Mark

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It would be a good idea to have it weighed that takes a lot of the guess work out of things and 10 % is the magic number.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

for a multi-axle, especially a triple, you can get by with less than 10%. Some manufacturers will recommend as low as 5% as the minimum.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick responses. I'm off to the truck stop. When the trailer rep told me the axles could be moved I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I am glad they can be moved. Good day all!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick responses. I'm off to the truck stop. When the trailer rep told me the axles could be moved I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I am glad they can be moved. Good day all!

Post a pic of your setup. Its usually far easier to move the boat on the trailer. Axle moves, especially on a triple, are no fun. Most of the time, you can move the winch post backwards a little bit to lose tongue weight. (doesn't take much, even an inch can do A LOT.)

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That makes perfect sense. I checked last night and I have almost a foot of bunk on the back of the trailer that is not being used. The axles might be where they need to be. I may just have the boat too "front loaded"? By moving the winch toward the rear I lose tongue weight? Is this making sense. I will try to take pics this afternoon. Thanks so much fellas...

Bondo

Staff member

I may just have the boat too "front loaded"? By moving the winch toward the rear I lose tongue weight? Is this making sense.

Ayuh,.... Perfect sense,.... I like 10% to 15% on the tongue,.... 7% Minimum....

Any less, 'n the tail tends to wag the dog....