tomato secrets...

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Glad to share - since i luv em so much!!<br /><br />1st some tomato tidbits.<br /><br />tomato's are vines, so if they are not growing then no fruit, they grow 4-6 inches and produce flowers<br /><br />There are indeterminate tomato's they are bush or paste - they are designed to produce all their fruit at once for making sauce<br /><br />Flowers will pollinate only under certain conditions.<br />cool tomatos - early girl - need above 40 but BELOW 60 <br />warm tomato's - beefsteak type - need ABOVE 60 at NIGHT to pollinate.<br /><br />ABOVE 90 at night tomato's wont pollinate<br /><br />So dont worry if the 1st set of flowers fall off, if flowers continue to fall off they are not pollinating so<br />NIGHT TIME temps are wrong<br />or<br />Not enough bees<br />or<br />the first set of flowers tend to fall off<br /><br />1 - I dont rototill, i pile in 1 foot of leaf mulch and plant directly into that, you can get it from the city, or your own yard.<br /><br />This keeps the moisture in the roots - very important, it also promotes worms, and keeps all the weeds down.<br /><br /><br />2 - wall o waters. http://www.wallowater.com/ <br />You have to use these!!! These are the MAIN secret. They allow you to plant 2-3 months earlier than without them. The wow's protect the plant and keep it cosy, so that the roots are growing, but the plant is not. With these my tomato roots are always over 2 feet long<br /><br />When the NIGHT TIME warm weather hits your plant will grow 4 inches in 1 day, remember its a vine so it has to grow to produce fruit<br /><br />3- Put a ring of DOLOMTIC LIMESTONE around the plant and 4-5 handfuls into the hole - this prevents the blossom end rot, the rot at the bottom of a tomato<br /><br />4 - fertilizer I only drop some 10-10-10 into the hole and around the plant - I dont use miracle grow or anything else.<br /><br />5 - stake em high!! Either way by june/july your plants should be 6foot high<br /><br />Personally i only grow Cherokee Purple - it is an heirloom tomato, next is brandywine, then german johson in my opinion<br /><br />The only downside to this method, is you have to grow your own plants, because you can grow well before it is the local time to grow.<br /><br />happy tomatoing!!

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: tomato secrets...

dude, you know a lot about tomatos! What is leaf mulch? Is that when folks put oak leaves in the garden?

Link

Rear Admiral

SoulWinner <br />Should not the gas can explode in you avatar??<br /> :) :) <br /><br />I think I now know more about tomatoes than I ever wanted to know ;) <br /><br />Good information tomatolord. Going to put the first garden in again in three years in 2005.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I live in Raleigh nc - the city collects all of the leaves from the streets in the fall,<br /><br />They take the leaves to the local landfill, but they do not put them in, they pile them and let them compost over the winter.<br /><br />In the spring it $5 for a load of leaf mulch loaded into your trailer/pickup.<br /><br />Just take that and spread it do not rototill.<br /><br />I have a 2 acres of trees, so i vacuum with my tractor in the fall and then mulch directly into the garden in the spring.<br /><br />If you have no leaves your are basically SOL....<br /><br />I guess you could buy compost and spread to whatever your wallet could afford. :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Use a product called Chesapeake Blue if you can find it. It's made locally from composted crab shells. <br />It prevents blossom end rot & has enough nutrients in it to last the season.<br />Maryland tomatoes all the way. Never cared for the petro taste of Jersey tomatoes. ;)

brother chris

Commander

tomatolord,<br />Here is a tomato you would like.<br /> http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/tomato.jpg <br /><br />Back where we grew up, we had tomatoes coming out of our yingyangs.<br />We lived in the tomato capitol of Canada...Leamington, Ontario <br />We have a tomato festival every year. <br />Tomatoes are awesome.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Brother chris, <br />I have heard that tomatoes from canada are just the best! and if you havent eaten one of these your missing out. sl

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by steve n carol:<br /> Brother chris, <br />I have heard that tomatoes from canada are just the best! and if you havent eaten one of these your missing out. sl
You know, you are right, but only in Ontario, Canada. The rest of Canada does not grow tomatoes like Ontario. (actually, I don't think Ontario has anything better going for them besides tomatoes. :D )

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I live about 30minutes from the largest tomato yielding town in the US, and that would be Immokolee, Fl.<br />Immokolee is not a fun place. It is one messed-up town,with no planning. But if you like tomatoes, you'd love Immokolee,Florida.<br />However, if you currently own tomato futures, you're sitting on a gold mine, because the price of tomatoes is going thru the roof! They are currently at a RECORD high, and expected to double before the price peaks.<br />This is due to the 2004 hurricane series here in Florida, cou[pled wiht the floods in California and Mexico---and the effects on the crops.<br />I like tomatoes, but even here, they are priced out of reach. I'd even venture to surmize that the price of a whopper with cheese will reflect the hike in tomato prices soon.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hey 12footer, I was watching a doco that I think mentioned that town, the doco was about busloads of Sth. American illegals working the tomato crops to pay their 'transportation' costs into the U.S. The doco mentioned something about tomato prices rising partially due to the fact that illegals are being caught and deported and the farmers are forced to hire legally and pay proper rates. sound right to you? Same town?<br /><br />Aldo

LadyFish

Admiral

5 - stake em high!! Either way by june/july your plants should be 6foot high
OMG :eek: Now I know where they filmed "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"........tomatolord's garden.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

We have a small garden, with a couple tomato plants. My girlfriend was at work, and a friend was giving her a recipe for fried green tomatoes. My poor girlfriend had a blonde moment. <br /><br />She replied: "I don't think we planted any [green tomatoes] this year..."

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Hey 12footer, I was watching a doco that I think mentioned that town, the doco was about busloads of Sth. American illegals working the tomato crops to pay their 'transportation' costs into the U.S. The doco mentioned something about tomato prices rising partially due to the fact that illegals are being caught and deported and the farmers are forced to hire legally and pay proper rates. sound right to you? Same town?<br /><br />Aldo
Not to derail the thread, but that's a guestion I cannot pass up.<br /><br />Same town,Aldo. Mexicans come here by the busload and there is an open pipeline from Mexico to Florida. Migrant workers have allways been the workforce on the farms, but since the late 70's it's predominantly immigrants. But after 9/11, American Immigration athorities are dropping the hammer regularly, and when they do, the price of labor goes up.<br />Not to worry about crops rotting in the fields, because there are many imigrants with green cards, working legally.<br />We have 70% of the laborers even where I work, but they must maintain the card, or become citizens.<br />I don't mind them much, because they are all incredably hard working, and self-reliant. Just what we need more of in this country.<br />There is that anoying language barrier thing tho--- drives me batty at times!! For instance, if I need the flower guy, I have to call a translator to tell him what I want. Needless to say, we use a lot of sign language.<br />And they all have this annoying habit of yelling on the radio --- so in a rage, I'll turn it down....then I forget to turn it back up, and I then get a cell call; "where were you? I've been calling you for the last hour".

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />
There is that anoying language barrier thing tho--- drives me batty at times!!
Know what you mean, yesterday I had a delivery from a courier, Aisan guy, took 4 attempts to discover he was at the wrong address - couldn't understand a word he was saying. <br /><br />O/k, back to tomatoes.<br /><br />Aldo

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, tomatoes. What zone are you in Tomatolord? I've grown those Cherokee Rose before (got some seeds) but they swelled and cracked so badly. Got a huge crop though, no real trouble with disease or anything. I'm in zone 4 and in a deep river valley so late spring and early fall frosts can get me running around with the tarps and straw!<br /><br />Now give us a lesson on proper pruning!!