Tomato cages.. What do you use?

Homerr

Commander
Just curious...<br /><br />What does everyone use for their tomato cages?<br /><br />I have those cheap 3 or 4 leg wire type. Pain in the back to install in my clay soil.<br /><br />I wish I could find some that are cheap, easy to build and install and doesn't fall over.<br /><br />Let's hear you ideas!!<br /><br />H.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Tomato cages.. What do you use?

I just use lotsa sticks driven in the ground, and strips of cloth to tie em' up... Works pretty good..<br /><br />I gave up on the cages.. Usually ended up needing sticks anyway..

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought a part roll of reinforcing wire, the kind you use in concrete, cut it and made a cage for my tomato bushes. I cut off the bottom rung of wire, left the straight pieces sticking down and pushed into the dirt, Worked real good

sangerwaker

Commander

I don't grow tomatos, but that's exactly what my folks did when they planted them, RetNav. My grandpa on my mom's side did it that way, too, and he was really into the tomatos.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I built a 4x8' framework of 2X2s and then put horizontal shelves of 4X4 field fencing in it. The tomatoes grew up through the fencing.

one more cast

Captain

Its been awhile but I just put hay around the plants and let them lay down (easier to cover them up when an early frost hits). or tie them to a stake.

ehenry

Commander

I use 3/8's rebar and jute twine.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I use rolled wired fencing - the cheapeast you can get.<br /><br />I form that into a large tube<br /><br />Then I pound a metal fence post into the ground and attach the cage to it<br /><br />the tomato grow into that.<br /><br />I attach my cages about 2 feet off of the ground as my plants are generally over 8 feet tall and those teeny weeny commercials ones wont work for me...

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

My father in law has cages made from 6x6 welded wire fabric used in concrete slabs.<br />Very sturdy & the 6x6 squares allow you to reach in to pick tomatoes easily.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

my plants are generally over 8 feet tall and those teeny weeny commercials ones wont work for me...
:eek: :eek: <br /><br />What kind, "nuclear better boy" ?

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by tomatolord:<br /><br />I attach my cages about 2 feet off of the ground as my plants are generally over 8 feet tall and those teeny weeny commercials ones wont work for me...
:eek: I guess this is why you call yourself the "tomatolord".<br /><br />Geez, ours usually get between 5-6' and I thought we did good.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use half inch emt conduit. Easy to store and you can cut them to length. Being galvanized they won't rust easily. Then I use plastic tie wraps to tie up the plants. My plants usually get between 5 and 6 foot providing I keep them suckered.

Homerr

Commander

Thanks for all the great ideas!!<br /><br />I can't stand the commercial ones either... They always fall over.<br /><br /><br />H.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I built a 4x8' framework of 2X2s and then put horizontal shelves of 4X4 field fencing in it. The tomatoes grew up through the fencing.
I use the same field fencing and a self contained food/watering system thats needs no weeding or care.<br />What a great idea with the 2X2s and shelves..self supporting tomatoes that you dont have to tie up every other day. Ours are in the sun from sunrise to 4-5 pm and usually get 90-100 on each vine so they are heavy.<br />Learn something new everyday here :)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..............<br /><br />Well,... Being Bondo,.... The little wire cages Didn't cut it for Me Either,...........<br />There's a stack of the wire cages in the foreground of the shot,....Debbie uses them for smaller plants now......<br />The height of the cages that I've built So Far, reflect the length,+ sizes of Rebar I could find laying around Jobsites,........... :D <br /><br /><br />
tomatocages.jpg
<br /><br />They're driven into the ground about a Foot,.....<br />Last year I built Arches going from 1 cage to the Next,.........<br />Debbie wasn't able to get the plants to vine up,.....Ain't doing that This Year,........<br /><br />This years Garden Project is removing all the Orange retaining fence,+ putting up Galvanized Reinforcing Wire,.... Big Staples to hold it up on the fence,........<br />It should work Great for the Peas,+ Beans...........<br /><br />The Mud Barrier Fabric keeps the Weeding to a Couple Times, between Planting,+ the plants themselfs blocking out the Weeds..........

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

AHH the 'secret" is no secret really glad to share.<br /><br />Wall O waters www.wallowater.com<br /><br />they allow you to plant 2-3 months ahead of time, which allows the roots to establish themselves and grow and then <br /><br />I do not till - i cover the garden in 2-3 inches of leaf mulch each spring.<br /><br />I put only regular fertilizer and dolotmitic lime into the plant only.<br /><br />then when the day time temps warm up into the 60's whamo the plants start growing!!<br /><br />Mine are already 5 foot tall now.<br /><br />and yes when a neighbor walked through my tomatoe forest they gave me that name...<br /><br />tomatolord