Tohatsu MFS60 ignition wire and NMEA2000 not active on bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillR

Recruit
I am quite puzzled with a new Tohatsu. I hooked up a 2021 MFS60 to both a Garmin GPSMap 1042XSV and a yacht devices wifi gateway. Key on (but not running) is there supposed to be communication on the bus from the engine? The network is set up correctly with the correct drop cable and terminating resistors at both ends. I can see and transmit messages without error on the bus, and I can see periodic heartbeat messages probably from the Garmin. The problem is that I cannot add engine gauges to the Garmin at all since it does not see any valid engine messages, and the yacht devices web interface gauges screen does not show any data from the engine. Canbus analyzer also confirms no NMEA engine messages.

There does not seem to be a switched power wire to the engine when key is in ON position, only switches power to the traditional gauges. Does it sound normal that cranking the engine powers the computer from the alternator? Also, is it normal that there is no CAN NMEA2000 engine data until started? I am just speculating as fuel is not hooked up so I cannot run the engine yet and the rigging manual and service manual has not arrived yet (been 2 weeks).

I forget where I read that the Tohatsu digital tachometer (TOCS) is still required to "start" the engine communicating on the bus. If this is true it would be a shame as that tiny gauge with one text line is as much as a Garmin 7 in screen which has much more utility. That and that NMEA2000 is not supposed to require another device to start/work. It is possible this is why Tohatsu does not market the MFS directly as NMEA2000, rather "TOCS", and that it possibly is not fully conforming to NMEA2000.

Does anyone have the full schematic for the 2021 MFS60 in the meantime until I receive the service manual? I hope it is the same as the 50 as I did not want to spend another 75 just for the addendum for the 60. I figured it is mostly fuel and air differences anyways).

Thank You All So Much and Happy Holidays!

-Phill

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am quite puzzled with a new Tohatsu. I hooked up a 2021 MFS60 to both a Garmin GPSMap 1042XSV and a yacht devices wifi gateway. Key on (but not running) is there supposed to be communication on the bus from the engine? The network is set up correctly with the correct drop cable and terminating resistors at both ends. I can see and transmit messages without error on the bus, and I can see periodic heartbeat messages probably from the Garmin. The problem is that I cannot add engine gauges to the Garmin at all since it does not see any valid engine messages, and the yacht devices web interface gauges screen does not show any data from the engine. Canbus analyzer also confirms no NMEA engine messages.

There does not seem to be a switched power wire to the engine when key is in ON position, only switches power to the traditional gauges. Does it sound normal that cranking the engine powers the computer from the alternator? Also, is it normal that there is no CAN NMEA2000 engine data until started? I am just speculating as fuel is not hooked up so I cannot run the engine yet and the rigging manual and service manual has not arrived yet (been 2 weeks).

I forget where I read that the Tohatsu digital tachometer (TOCS) is still required to "start" the engine communicating on the bus. If this is true it would be a shame as that tiny gauge with one text line is as much as a Garmin 7 in screen which has much more utility. That and that NMEA2000 is not supposed to require another device to start/work. It is possible this is why Tohatsu does not market the MFS directly as NMEA2000, rather "TOCS", and that it possibly is not fully conforming to NMEA2000.
-Phill
Guessing the tach includes the A/D circuitry for the tach signal

PhillR

Recruit
Crisis averted. Vendor had the manual I ordered but didn't ship because one item on the order was backordered. Sure enough, the switched power to the ECU goes not through the main plug, but the tilt trim harness...seems strange. Either way, I connected that wire to switched power and everything is working normally, even full engine telemetry via NMEA2000 to both the Garmin and the Yacht Devices WiFi gateway webpage!

wkearney99

Cadet
Is there a schematic on the wiring/connectors available?

MOD EDIT: Please review the forum rules about posting to old/dormant threads.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.