Tohatsu 9.9B2 - Gear Selection Issue

ussdiy

Cadet
I have a 1992-1996 Tohatsu 9.9B2 and I received this motor in its current condition. I am not exactly sure how this was functioning before, as it seems the gear selector and cable weren't lined up and when trying to manually push the gear selector to R it is hitting some sort of screw above it. See the video for information. Any clues why it would be hitting this?

Picture below is with gear selector in N on remote control and at motor. I will be adjusting the cable - however, i cant bring it in any further as I don't have anymore threads. Will be pulling off the remote control side this weekend to see if I can retract the cable any further. Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58549526_361117111186306_6108814053335891968_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.98 MB ID:	10728662

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With motor OFF, back fully the throttle, set gear lever at neutral. Start the motor, let warm a bit, gear forward, neutral and reverse does it works OK at all 3 positions ? If so, nothing it's wrong, if with gearing issues seems that needs a slight cable adjustment to gear properly. No one should test gearing with motor OFF as can and will screw things up..

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Is the cable properly locked into the small bracket (called a clutch cable clip) on the forward corner of the lower cowl? If that is not right, it won't fit.

ussdiy

Cadet
Is the cable properly locked into the small bracket (called a clutch cable clip) on the forward corner of the lower cowl? If that is not right, it won't fit.

Yes, the cable is locked into that small bracket where the cable is grooved. Hoping I can adjust the other end to fix it.

ussdiy

Cadet
Which way should that starter stopper be oriented when in N? Pointing end upward? or middle left?

pvanv

Admiral
Seriously? The Starter lock will only allow the recoil to work when in N.