Tohatsu 9.8a durability in salt

rocknroj

Cadet
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.

Interested in hearing the some feedback from long time users of the tohatsu 9.8 in salt water and corrosion issues. Had an old merc and bolts always got stuck, broken off etc, as stainless and aluminum don't mix. Most of the old motors around here have seen there share of salt (and probably why they are for sale).

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not all motors are built with the best materials.----An owner can use some tricks / sealers to prevent threads from getting water in them.----That causes corrosion to build up and jams stuff.-----Also there is something called " hydrogen embrittlement on stainless fasteners.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Plan buying a new out of the box or used one ? Salted water is very aggressive with all types of marine motors, if not rinsed/flushed after use much worse....

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
All merc outboards 50hp and below are tohatsu. Been thay way for a few decades.

So if you had an issue with mercs, you may have had an issue with a tohatsu

Any salt water motor needs regular maintenance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Any salt water motor needs regular maintenance
Along Preventive (Cleaning) Maintenance on some parts which are not listed in the Ownwer's and Service Manuals, that's if wanting the motor to last loooong...

Happy Boating

rocknroj

Cadet
I have some experience with the old mid 80's honda trolling motors that mostly disassemble easily. It appears they chrome the bolts and the manual recommends grease on assembly for many. Now I grease em all. On the flip side, on my 95 merc 20 hp I broke bolts (stainless) trying to service the thermostat. If I purchased a newer motor I might be tempted to install some chromed bolts as they seem to hold up well and not get seized up..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What I usually do with new out of the box motors is remove all their visible bolts except exhaust and cylinder head bolts, grease them with high quality marine grease, assemble and torque them back and voila!!. Will never break any bolt's head again...

Happy Boating