Tohatsu 4hp fuel selector switch stuck

jplee3

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a 4hp Tohatsu off CL. The guy selling it said the fuel selector switch is frozen/stuck and so he has only used it with an the external tank.

I figure this probably isn't a huge deal but was curious if it's an easy fix and what is involved. I have no prior experience with outboards or engine work but just wondering if the selector switch can easily be swapped out?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
The fuel selector is likely an easy fix, just swap the part. However that selector being stuck is a sign that the rest of the motor may not be well cared for. Have it looked at by someone familiar with motors.

jplee3

Cadet
The fuel selector is likely an easy fix, just swap the part. However that selector being stuck is a sign that the rest of the motor may not be well cared for. Have it looked at by someone familiar with motors.
He said he had it flushed and service at the end of each season but who knows. He sent pics of the valve, model/serial # and a video of the motor running. The valve does look corroded. The video sounds ok but i wouldnt know what to listen for specifically if there are issues. Its the MFS4BD with serial ending in XG which indicates '07. I cant find the relevant parts for that model based on year though so not sure which parts are appropriate ar least via the Tohatsu.us parts website

One thing he mentioned is that he has the parts for the 6hp upgrade (extra $100 cost) but just never got around to installing it.

I'm just curious what other major issues moght arise in this case. From what it sounds like he used it primarily in saltwater but not sure if he left it on the dinghy and slipped or if he would take it home after each trip and rinse it down. Based on the condition of the valve it seems he either slipped it and/or didnt rinse down or keep at least that part of the engine maintained. I dont know if perhaps that component is more susceptible to damage vs other parts as well.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
I guess it depends on what you're expecting from it and what price he's asking. That looks like an older motor that has definitely seen time in salt, but from the short video it appears to at least start OK and wasn't smoking. It is not possible to tell from such a short clip if the carburetor is going to need cleaning, which is not major but is an expense if you're not going to do it yourself. If the price is right then why not, but keep in mind that corrosion is what kills most motors. For example, water pump impellers, thermostats, engine and lower unit oil and valve adjustments are regular maintenance items on any motor, but if those bolts haven't been removed in a long time then what should be a 20 minute job can become much more involved. I would personally pass and look for a fresh water motor, unless the price was super good, but I'm picky. What price is he asking?

Edit --> I'm revising my answer after re-looking at the pictures. It's not terrible, I bet it would clean up nice. My only concern would be internal corrosion.

jplee3

Cadet
I guess it depends on what you're expecting from it and what price he's asking. That looks like an older motor that has definitely seen time in salt, but from the short video it appears to at least start OK and wasn't smoking. It is not possible to tell from such a short clip if the carburetor is going to need cleaning, which is not major but is an expense if you're not going to do it yourself. If the price is right then why not, but keep in mind that corrosion is what kills most motors. For example, water pump impellers, thermostats, engine and lower unit oil and valve adjustments are regular maintenance items on any motor, but if those bolts haven't been removed in a long time then what should be a 20 minute job can become much more involved. I would personally pass and look for a fresh water motor, unless the price was super good, but I'm picky. What price is he asking?

Edit --> I'm revising my answer after re-looking at the pictures. It's not terrible, I bet it would clean up nice. My only concern would be internal corrosion.
Thanks! He wants $400 for the motor. And optionally +$100 for the 6hp kit (carb + prop... Although it seems I could buy each of those individually for around $30-40 off ebay and save some money if I really wanted those)

BTW, suggestions/feedback someone else on another forum:
"The 'real' test is using a compression gauge and putting it in place of the spark plug. However, you don't really need that. If you just pull the handle slowly then you should feel the cylinder going into compression every other revolution. Those engines have a compression-reduction mechanism that lowers the compression for pull-starting, so you'd only measure like 60PSI when pull starting, but you should definitely feel it every other revolution. The low reading on the compression tester makes some folks think that it doesn't have the right compression (which would be over 125PSI).

Keeping the carbs clean is important on these motors. I'd bet the original one is plugged up and that's why he bought the 6HP carb to replace it. If that's the case, offer him $75 for the carb and put it on (just two screws and some linkage). Never let the motor sit for a long time with gas in the carb. If you might not be using it for more than a week or so, make sure you just run the motor until the carb runs out of gas. (switch off the fuel valve or disconnect the external tank first). The other thing you want to make sure you DON'T overfill the oil. The level should be BELOW the "full" mark on the dipstick, NEVER AT OR ABOVE. If there's too much oil it will start to foam up and trigger the "low oil pressure" switch which will cut off the ignition.

When/if you get it then change the oil immediately so you have known "good" oil in it. It only take a portion of a quart. Also change the lower unit fluid and make sure there's no water in it. If there is any water, then run it for a bit and change it again. If there's still water in it you might have to change the prop seals but that's not a really big deal to fix. If there's very little water you can just keep changing the lower fluid until you get a chance to fix the seal.

ALSO, just looked at that video and there's not enough water in that tank so it's likely the impeller was running dry. Can't tell if the engine was 'peeing' or not, but the water should be ABOVE the ventilation plate to make sure the water pump has enough water. The impellers are very easy to change too... the toughest part is getting the shift linkage re-aligned when putting the lower unit back up into the motor. There's some youtubes on this to watch. The impeller are cheap too (you can buy them for about $12 and should always have a spare)."

Last edited:

jplee3

Cadet
I'm assuming these are the appropriate parts for the upgrade if I wanted to get them for cheaper?

Carb - https://www.ebay.com/itm/134122242625 or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6RCS55W
12 spline prop - https://www.ebay.com/itm/404163308638 or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM9VMZC

After tax, that should be less than $60-70... assuming those are good quality parts.

The "kit" sells for $329 and I'm frankly not sure what is included in it besides those two parts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374466851304

If it's just those two parts and nothing else (like special screws, adapters, fittings, etc) then I am at a loss as to why anyone would spend so much on a kit... that's just insane.

BTW: if there's something not right with the compression, it sounds like that would be resolved either with a thorough carb soak/clean OR just replacing with the 6hp carb?

jplee3

Cadet
Another seller just popped up with a 2002 Tohatsu NSF6A2 4hp 4-stroke that is listed for $390 (and he said he's lowering it by $50 each week but that seems like a pretty good price right out of the gates). Said it was recently overhauled, whatever that means. So I asked for more info and a video.

pvanv

Admiral
The 4/5/6 are identical except for the carbs. Easy swap. The fuel valve is fairly cheap. YMMV.