Tohatsu 3.5 - sheared pin?

Killyleagh

Cadet
I'm completely new to outboards. Nine times out of ten when I engage drive the prop spins with no resistance; the odd time it turns the motor over. What is this likely to be, and how do I check? Many thanks.

Killyleagh

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 - sheared pin?

Sorted! I simply removed the prop and the broken shear pin fell out. New one ordered. That's the simplest repair imaginable!

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

There is actually a little rubber plug somwhere on the top end of that motor ( near carry handle or under cowling, I forget) where you can keep/should have a spare pin and cotterpin. It's common on these motors to pop these pins by either hitting something or putting it into gear at too high a RPM. Get spares and keep them with you! It woun't be your last.

pvanv

Admiral

Keep in mind that there are two different pins available for these -- brass and stainless. We are using stainless for all our customers these days. It's a little more tolerant of shock loading.

The motor needs to be running SLOWLY when engaging the gears, or even the stainless pin will shear.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I hear EvinRuse plans to come out with a line of small ETECs with unbreakable shear pins that will be far superior to those breakable shear pins that the sub standard Japanese engines use:)

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

"I hear EvinRuse plans to come out with a line of small ETECs with unbreakable shear pins that will be far superior to those breakable shear pins that the sub standard Japanese engines use"

Ok Elvin, I KNOW your having some fun /trolling here but it should be pointed out ( for newbe's)that shearing the pin when you hit something is a good thing and designed in to protect the gear train.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How does a plastic prop bust in half a stout, inch long, stainless steel pin?
This never has made sense to me since it seems the last thing to go would be the shear pin.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Depends on the RPM, type of impact and angle of impact. We sell lots of plastic props as spares, but the number of people whom have actually shattered one is tiny. As a WAG I would say it's probably 75 to 1 that you would break a pin before breaking a prop. Brass pins were common up until the 70's. Now you only see shear pins on small engines and they are usually SS.