Today in Iraq.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Today in Iraq:<br /><br />140,000 US service men and women were unharmed.<br /><br />26,999,940 Iraqis were unharmed.<br /><br />Thousands of Coalition personnel from Coalition Nations were unharmed.<br /><br />But: the press focused on the 60 Iraqis that were injured or killed by a criminal.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Today in Iraq.

Now that's what I'd call good news JB, but the Dems can't get any 'legs up' with that kind of news.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems that this is the only place that good news is found. What a shame.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

What were they supposed to focus on? When nothing happens, there is no news. Something happened. Something bad happened. Would you rather people not hear about it? If so, why?

JB

Hi, Scotty.<br /><br />I would like them to report: <br />new schools opening, <br />women discovering how to use newfound freedom, power plants coming online, <br />Ali Sadr standing down his militias <br />and hundreds of other events that show that we are moving toward our objectives of a free and self governing Iraq.<br /><br />The media leave the impression you state: That nothing but violence is happening. That is simply not true.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

But thats the problem. Not many of those things are happening. Women are being brutalized and murdered more than ever because they have been given rights that Iraqi men feel they shouldn't have. Al Sadr hasn't stood down his militias, and most people in iraq still don't have power.<br /><br />We may be moving toward our objective, but it's more like a very slow crawl. The bottom line is that for every school thats built, 10 people die. Mass death will always be headline news, no matter where it happens. The people of Iraq want us gone, so we must not be doing something right.

JB

Well, we disagree.<br /><br />The biggest majority of the Iraqi people are glad Saddam is gone, glad we are there, and are anxious for the time they can handle things by themselves so we can leave them safe and free.<br /><br />You seem to believe that what the media makes a big deal of is all that is happening and that the majority of Iraqis hate USA. That suggests that you believe only what they report.<br /><br />Talk to some of the people who are out in the country, in touch with ordinary Iraqis, not holed up in Bahgdad hotels.<br /><br />This would be a good time for Popuptarget to speak up with first hand experience.

D

DJ

I recently found out that a new local convenience store owner is from Iraq. He still has a great deal of family there.<br /><br />Lately, I have been quizzing him about the general feeling over there.<br /><br />He, nad his relatives, are ecstatic about what is going on. There are problems, no question. They want to work through them and root out the rats.<br /><br />He says the news media here is "full of crap".<br /><br />They expect lies from El Jazeera (however you spell it), not ABC/CBS/CNN/NBC.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I don't know how old MRBSCOTT19 is, but the fact is the we have now raised several generations on the fare that America is evil. It has become like a religion to many. It's as if they feel that if they revile this country it will be their ticket to the happy afterlife, or some such. For many it has become the one and only thing that they can do to show their inate 'goodness.<br /><br />As such, every bit of negative news that their Democratic leadership and the left leaning news throws out, they suck it up, hook line and sinker. <br /><br />The Democratic leadership has become very adept at accusing the conservatives of exactly what they, themselves are all about. Take the 'vast right wing conspiricy'. There is no such thing. It exists exclusively on the left. <br /><br />Their MO is to come up with accusations and policies that try to equalize this country with the rest of this sorry world, pack the education system with their cronies,(NEA)subtly teach anti-Ameicanism and then keep reinforcing their newly created negative image to bring us lower and lower and....<br /><br />Now, all that is not good news!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Bad news and attemts to troll and hijack the GNN, not withstanding....<br /><br />Saddam Hussein is still in jail, and the majority of the worlds population is happy about it... :)

aspeck

Staff member

Recently heard on BBC from the head of the BBC Arabian network that the majority of e-mails they get from Iraq are in favor of the US presence there. Better the US than Sadam. Yes, they will like it more when the US is gone, but want the US to stay till it the country is stabilized.<br /><br />Democracy is winning! And that is GOOD NEWS!

JB

I guess that more GOOD news is that the gloom-doom-scandal-shock-dismay media is NOT reporting all of the news, just what sells to a naive audience, who seem to think that is all that is happening..

soce009

Seaman

become more aware and don't believe that the things on the news are the ONLY things going on in the nation/world. as JB says, there is good news out there and positive things are happening

ebbtide176

Commander

from what i see on nearly all news websites, especially ABC conglomerates and the AP, there is only worthy topics for America bashing, and the belief for Kerry to be the answer to our problems.<br /><br />its sad. the other night, my wife mentioned that since we can't secure everything/everyone, we'll probably get hit in a public school next(she teaches elementary grades). i was thinking, but carefully avoided exactly stating my mind - its probably not going to happen, at least until after the next election - because the terrorists surely have an idea that it would cause all the short-term memory handicapped americans to rally behind our current administration again, and kill the chance for pascifist politicians to rule...<br /><br />just a thought

ebbtide176

Commander

BTW, thanx for the optimism ancient mariner. kudos to that. i think of those things everyday too. :)

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Hate to disagree with you again JB, but the majority of Iraqis want us out of Iraq. We are seen as occupiers, not liberators. Show me a source that says otherwise. A big reason for that is Abu Ghraib. We will be marked in the Arab world for a long time because of that. Your other 2 points are probably correct though.

JB

Of course they want us out, Scotty. That's what I said.<br /><br />"The biggest majority of the Iraqi people are glad Saddam is gone, glad we are there, and are anxious for the time they can handle things by themselves so we can leave them safe and free."<br /><br /><br />Are you saying they support the treatment of prisoners beheaded by the terrorists?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

"the majority of Iraqis want us out of Iraq. <br />We are seen as occupiers, not liberators."<br /><br />that's strange mrbscott... every service person<br />I have spoken with that has served over there<br />tells me the exact opposite???<br /><br />think I'll take their word for it ;)

thand

Cadet

I cant speak first hand about the Iraq of today, but in ODS(The first time we took on Sadaam in 91) We had people begging us not to leave them...not to leave him in power. to help them overcome this tyrant. these people have good reason to be skeptical. Yet they are very brave to hope and strive for something better.after seeing first hand the lives of the iraqi "rural" citizenry,I can say its time for America to become America again, Pride in our nation cannot come if we ignore the suffering of others. I do not believe there will be peace in the middle east. but I know it would be a crime not to try.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

perhaps off base, but after the gulf war the ****e's (sp)<br />in the south did rise up cuz they trusted US,<br />they were slaughtered by sodamn. now, some time<br />later, we actually oust the whacko, and u say<br />leave these people with "their "camels" in their<br />hand is acceptable? <br />confused,