To wet sand, or not to wet sand, that is the question

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Used Interlux Brightside on the topside of my Starcraft. The interlux people say that after the last coat of paint, no wet sanding or buffing is recommended. What are you guys opinions on this.

p.s. Also, if I were just to buff it, would I just dry buff it, or spray some water on it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: To wet sand, or not to wet sand, that is the question

I've used the stuff but never needed to sand or buff it, but I would tend to follow the manufactures guidelines on what to do. You can always try it on a small little seen area and see if you like the results though. Its soft compared to some other paints, so take it easy.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right. I am thinking just to call it quits and just put wax on it, and buff it. Dont want to mess it up. Wax will give it the extra bit of glossiness I am looking for, wont it?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I've used the stuff but never needed to sand or buff it, but I would tend to follow the manufactures guidelines on what to do. You can always try it on a small little seen area and see if you like the results though. Its soft compared to some other paints, so take it easy.

You used the Brightside without needing to sand or buff ? Did you spay it..or roll and tip..what was your application method other than "used" it ..

You would Tend to follow the manufactures guidelines .. oh..thats Very helpful ..

Try something on a small area and See if you like results.. ??

Why dont you just give us More then Try and experiment ? Dont you know Ond ? How you would do these things on personal EXP ..

YD.

PS. Mebbe I should just do the the ol' Just look at the back of the can and figure it out on your own kinda thingy too.

PSS. I dont think that would help much ..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You used the Brightside without needing to sand or buff ? Did you spay it..or roll and tip..what was your application method other than "used" it ..

You would Tend to follow the manufactures guidelines .. oh..thats Very helpful ..

Try something on a small area and See if you like results.. ??

Why dont you just give us More then Try and experiment ? Dont you know Ond ? How you would do these things on personal EXP ..

YD.

PS. Mebbe I should just do the the ol' Just look at the back of the can and figure it out on your own kinda thingy too.

PSS. I dont think that would help much ..

Interesting post.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any more suggestions...thinking of getting at it today (waxing and such). A bit of a newbie at painting boats, so I want to make sure I get the best job. Would you suggest dry buffing, then waxing and buffing...or is the wet sanding a necessity? I am looking for as seemless as possible a job, so any last minute tips would be much appreciated. I wet sanded between coats, and rolled and tipped the paint as best I could. What is the best way to go about continuing?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Some paints don't respond well to sanding and buffing, that may be why they don't recommend it.

What is dry buffing?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I saw it on youtube. After wet sanding, it seems like some people just buff it without wax. I am just thinking of putting the wax on, and buffing on slow...just like I would for a fiberglass boat gelcoat. Any thoughts?

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

...I am going to buff it with one of those motorized buffing wheel machines you see in boat yards all the time, which I picked up in a garage sale last year. 2000rpm is the slow function...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

After sanding you need to use a buffing compound to get the gloss back before applying any wax.

With this paint you will most likely need a vary fine buffing compound to keep from going through the paint and creating problems.

It can be tricky sanding and buffing on soft paints, you can sand or buff right through them easily, so go slow.

Rememeber, the manufacturer says sanding and buffing is not recommended, I have no idea why they say that, but there must be a reason.

Try sanding and buffing a small area that won't be seen to test your methods before jumping in and sanding the entire surface.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Heck, I think I will just leave it be, and go straight to waxing. It looks pretty good as is. Can only look better with wax I imagine.