to upholster or not to upholster!!??

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1972 16' ski boat i am trying to restore. it originally had two lounge seats. the type that had back to back seating and collaps to a lounge seat. my question is after buying the wood and treating it getting the foam, glue, staples, and vynal(?SP). would it be cheaper to just buy some online or is building them the best way to go?? i saw some for 99.99 each. so about $250.00 after tax and shipping.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: to upholster or not to upholster!!??

You really want to pay attention to the core material being used when buying these types of seats. Some used the compressed partical board. Not very durable in a marine enviroment. Do your reseach and you may find a better deal although it may not be cheaper.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Buy'em. <br /><br />When you mount them- or the ones you build- in the boat, use some 'quickie' brackets made out of angle stock alum. that holds them down to the floor with about 6-8 screws (each). <br /><br />That way, in the 'off season' you can pull them up real quick and keep their bases off the constantly wet carpet several more months out of the year. <br /><br />Or, scrounge some 1" Al. square tubing. <br />Mop the wood down with a preservative, and mount them on top of that to keep-- or let them dry quickly.<br /><br />The main advantage to buying them is that it will get you in the water about 2 months faster than building the entire seats yourself.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

The $99 Wise Seats are made with plastic molded bases...never will rot. Like mentioned above...do your homework...try and avoid seats with wood bases.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the help guys im a little new to boating so i really appreciate the help. im going to do my homework and see what is the best track to take. i have one more question though. the boat i have has a fiberglass floor. do you guys think i should go ahead and lay some plywood down before i mount the seats and carpet. the original carpet and seats were mounted to the fiberglass itself. i just think the floor will be that much sturdy with the wood over the fiberglass. IM A BIG GUY. <br /><br />thanks for the help<br /><br /><br />dan

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

My floor looks like fiberglass but is really fiberglass over marine plywood. My seats screwed down to it just fine.<br />If you decide to do-it-yourself, I've got a bunch of pre-cut foam for back to back seats in great condition that needs a new home. It seems a shame to throw it all away.

sdboltz_guy

Recruit

thunderroad, do you still have the pre-cut foam that you're looking to find a home for? I'm in the same situation as the orginal author. I have a 61 Wizard and I would like to keep the orginal look of the boat.<br />Thanks!

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I still have it. I think there is enough for all four seats in a back to back. I'll look tonight when I get home. Looks like you're just up the river in NE. so it shouldn't cost much to ship. I wasn't looking for anything out of the foam.

meangene21

Cadet

My opinion would be.. Buy the lounge seats, but if you have to get/make any other seats.. make them yourself.. Just fyi on what i bought and the prices<br /><br />10 yards - marine White Vynal - $70<br />3 yards - 5 inch think foam - $114ish<br />1 - 3/8inch Salt treated wood - $20bucks.<br />Actually all together, with building 5 seats and 4 back rests i spent $450bucks. Which isnt back because i could not find replacement seats for my Capri.<br /><br />For me i believe that was the cheapiest route. I have a 17ft Capri and had to replace ALL seats. So i have made all my seats except the lounge seats. If i decide to get the lounge seats then i will buy them.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would buy them, I recently bought a 1989 Cruisers that needed 4 new seats, except the new ones for me cost about $250-$300 a piece, so I decided to build them my self and it can get hard, because you have to be 110% correct on your measurments or it might not fit (and its summer and harder to work on a boat) If the seats I needed were $99 a piece I would have bought them. as for the floor I would just because I wouldnt want to fall into the bilge in the middle of the lake in case the floor does give.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would buy them. Take care to be sure the seats you buy match the height and width you need. Wise has a complete line from budget to deluxe generally on one or two heights.<br /><br />My lounge seats are made from p/t plywood and I had to cut the bases down to match the original seat heights. Not hard to do in plywood. Probably not hard in the new plastic bases too. Just something else to check out. <br /><br />Some things are cheaper to buy than build. Lounge seats are one of them.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you soo much for the response. i have been busy getting this motor running. figure that i should get the thing able to run then tackle restoration. i think that buying is the way to go. i like the idea of quick release mounting so i can take them off and on easy.. way cool idea. thank you for the advise again.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

dan, unless you plan on rebuilding your deck, you really need to seal EVERY hole you drill in that floor. If you are going to mount bases to your floor, put some 3M5200(available at my Wal-mart, or any marine supply store) over those holes. 5200 is usable for above and below the waterline, and is generally considered to be completely waterproof. I'm replacing a floor right now that had water run through nothing more than the drill holes from seat bases. Over the course of 25 years, every inch of my deck is rotten, as well as all of the foam below it. Save yourself a headache. Please don't forget to seal each and every hole in your deck.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the tip. i guess it would be wise to cut a hole in my deck to see if i really do have a problem down there. where would be the best place to do this?? the floor looks to be in good shape but i have noticed a few holes that had things mounted that have been exposed the the weather.<br /><br />can i use this 3M5200 over the nut and bolts where i mounted the motor to keep water from getting into the transum??

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

5200 is good for transom holes, yes. The best place to check your deck would be in the area right around one of those holes that have been drilled. With a 1972, you probably have a rotten deck if you have holes. That doesn't mean it isn't serviceable for the year. I wouldn't cut into fishing time if you don't have to! However, check your deck and at least find out. Plan ahead. Old boats are awesome, and they can be rebuilt even better than original. However, you really need to love your boat to do this because the little expenses add up quickly, whereas the resale value of your boat will not. If you're doing it for you, though, it's well worth the effort and money. Good luck.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

at walmart what section was this 3M5200 in. i went to the automotive dept. and asked for some but they didnt know what it was. how ever the person there looked to be pretty new. any help would be helpful.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 00000dan:<br /> at walmart what section was this 3M5200 in. i went to the automotive dept. and asked for some but they didnt know what it was. how ever the person there looked to be pretty new. any help would be helpful.
It is in the marine section at our Wal*Mart. It is in a tube, blister pack and hanging on a pegboard hook.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i didnt even know that walmart had a marine section. i guess you can tell that i hardly ever shop. hee hee hee.<br /><br />thanks for the help charles

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check out ebay. there are all types sizes, makes of boats being sold for junk or "parted out" Perhaps you might find one with the seats you nneed very cheap.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

If one were to purchase the lounge seats, and re-upholster the other seats, how is the best way to match fabric texture and color?