to transom save or not

StuBone278

Seaman Apprentice
I'm sure this is a frequently asked question here, but I couldn't find it for small boat application. I was wondering if it was necessary to get a transom saver for my all-welded 1432 jon boat. The engine is right around 120 pounds, and I always transport it in the down position as it's supposed to. Should I worry about this too much? It's also a tiller handle, so wouldn't the motor try to turn around while on a transom saver anyway? Any help appreciated!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: to transom save or not

If you have adequate ground clearance with the motor down, then there's probably no reason for a transom saver. However, if the motor bounces at all when you're towing, then it would be a good idea. Check the clearance coming out of the gas station or a steep driveway. You might be surprised, especially if your boat overhangs the frame of the trailer by very much.

As for the outboard turning while using a transom saver, that doesn't happen, due to the V-shaped part that holds the lower end.

I use one because I noticed that the outboard on my boat was bouncing on some roads and if the trailer hit a pothole. On an aluminum boat, this stresses the metal transom too much for my mental comfort. $25 didn't seem too much to keep me from worrying.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

insurance against what?

Motor in the down position obviates the need for a transom saver.

BTW if your boat overhangs the trailer bunks at all (especially aluminum boat) the hook you're putting in your hull will make any transom problems irrelevant.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Insurance against 1/ hitting the bottom of the motor on the road/curb 2/ possibly damaging the motor mount due to bouncing around on rough roads 3/ damaging the transom due to that same bouncing around on rough roads. I could go on. ;)