To sail or to motor boat

captmick39

Cadet
Re: To sail or to motor boat

i've never sailed before but i know that if i spent all my time and money on restoring a boat, i wouldn't just turn around and give it away for something else... all that time and effort (and posts on here) wasted.

stick with what you have (what you are working on) and go have fun with that for awhile... then decide what you want for your NEXT boat.

Awesome Advice!
Smallboatlover, You should listen to it.
Get out Your 'roundtuit' and FINISH working on that little sailboat.
Then get Your Dad, Your Granddad, or someone who knows their way around the the points (of sail) and TRY IT.
You ALREADY HAVE the best of both worlds; Learn to Sail on that which You already OWN and Then Decide (or don't).
There are lots of 'purists' (and You KNOW who they are) that will tell You
"it's one, or the other".
You CAN do Both, it's easy, it's not expensive, and as a sidebar, I do both too.
And with a floating Condo that is a 'racer-cruiser' sailboat, with a decent sized DIESEL Inboard, and With Fuel Costs being what they are...
we didn't spend $50. for fuel in 6 MONTHS. Eventually I plan on an electric motor transition from the diesel, charged by solar panels and wind generators,
but that's down the road. On a sailboat, it's a completely different mindset than powerboating.
Neither mindset is a 'bad' thing.
Enjoy both...those that have given that suggestion are right and only You know if You can afford it.
IF You can, go for it...there's no 'deciding' to do, that way...just choosing which You're taking out THIS Weekend! :)
-mick

ya well my parents will only let me have one boat. i can't have two or i would do that. so i will be selling my boat that i have not the 14' with 50hp and sell that in june. the transom will need work soon so i don't want to get into that. so i will sell it in june and i have had my eye on a sailboat for a great price. http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/2289701993.html just what i want small enough to trailer but big enough to bring the family for a trip, or bring friend and go camping on it. and has good sails and every thing i would need for a weekend trip. also it's will be at a mooring so that means i will need a smaller boat like a zodiac or row boat so that might be the only way i can have to boats. i could also turn the tender boat into a fishing boat.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Hmm...10:32am ET on a Tuesday. Are you on Spring Break this week SBL, or are you posting from the school's computer?

school. when i'm in a class and theres nothing to do and were on computer i check the forums.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

school. when i'm in a class and theres nothing to do and were on computer i check the forums.
And people wonder why my wife, the teacher, comes home in tears every single night. :facepalm:

mirchy123

Recruit

Sailing in Greece is perfect when you are in the Ionian Islands. Ionian Islands is a group of islands located in the western portion of Greece. It is perfectly situated along the Ionian Sea on the coasts of Peloponnesus and Epirus. Its major islands are Paxos, Cythera, Ithaca, Lefkas, Zacynthus, Cephalonia, and Corfu.

HollieMac

Seaman Apprentice

What a great entertaining thread this has been! Excellent advice from everyone. Especially from the sailor who is realistic about the time it takes to set up and de-rig when it stops blowin. If you want to sail you can also take up windsurfing. Try iwindsurf forum.