To leave outboard down in water or raise it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice
Does it harm the lower unit to leave it down in the water when tied up at the dock and not being used for a while or should it always be raised? <br /><br />Thanks, Ron

D

DJ

Re: To leave outboard down in water or raise it?

code-1,<br /><br />It won't hurt it. It may get a little scummy, but that's about it.<br /><br />If there is a chance of a freeze, it's better to leave it down.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Why leave it in the salt water to get crusty and corrode when you can tilt it up out of the water and rinse it off after each use????When it comes time to change the impeller it will be much easier to get the hardware out of the motor if it has been lifted out of the water after each use.Charlie

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If it is in salt, tilt it up, and spray it off if you can (a garden weed sprayer filled with water is handy if you can store it at the dock), and if it is in freshwater you can leave it down.I leave mine down (in freshwater) and it does fine.

captain537

Cadet

Hello<br />I would advise to tip it up especially in salt water, leaving it down will eventually clog your intakes and this can lead to expensive and seriosu problems.<br />Bruce

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It does absolutely zero harm to leave a motor down when in salt water when tied up to the dock. Having said that there are areas of salt water where barnacles will start to form in a couple of days. They wash off very easily if rinsed and wiped down with fresh water when you put it back on the trailer. Problem is you can only get to the outside of the motor.<br /><br />Soooo the answer is - it depends on where you are and how long you plan to be there.

alcan

Commander

The old up or down question. Salt water or fresh? Flush or not flush? These are questions that folks who moore their boats have to deal with. It is my opinion that motors should be left in the down position all the time a boat is moored fresh water or salt. Since your in florida I will assume freezing is not a problem (if so then defenatly down). Salt water by it self does no more harm than fresh water. Because sea water is high in mineral content you will have galvonic corrosion sometimes refered to as electrolis. This is not good. How ever by the proper installation of zinks you can protect your boat and motor against this. Now that leaves another sistation, marine growth. This can be a problem in both fresh and salt water(so can galvonic corrosion for that mater). There are many ways to miniumize this as well. Sometimes it can be as simple as mooring on the shadiest side of the dock. There is a whole bunch of little things to know and do about keeping a boat moored. If you just plan to moor for a few weeks with regular use (such as a trip or special season), if in salt water, you my be better off tipping the motor up. It needs to be all the way out of the water though. If the L/U is dipping in, you may as well leave it down. Always flush when you haul out. Go to any salt water boat basin and look at the millions of dollars of boats.Some having two or more outdrives or outboards. Talk with the owners of these boats, find out what they do. Do not worry we're all boaters we all like to talk about our stuff and nobody likes repair bills or damaged equiptment.

CODE-1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everybody. The boat is kept moored on a river in Central Florida so as was pointed out freezing is not a problem nor barnacles. I had usually kept it raised not knowing if it was warranted or not. Occasionally I might forget and was concerned. I appreciate all the help to put my fears to rest. Thanks again. Ron

Forktail

Ensign

If it's in a river, then definitely up. You never know what's floating down, or if the water level will rise or fall.<br /><br />Regardless, I would never leave an outboard down. You subject the lower unit seals to constant water. Plus electrolysis and algie begin eating away at the metal and paint. Water is constantly in your exhaust tube and against your water pump impeller. <br /><br />Raise it, let it drain, and rinse it if you can.

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are going to leave it down, make sure it is all the way down so the anodes are immersed in water.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have to ask, why would you want to leave it down in the water? Any benefit to it? I would think it's best to be out.

Forktail

Ensign

The only advantage I can see would be in freezing water, which Djohns19 mentioned.<br /><br />I suppose the fact the hydraulic trim/tilt rams would be inside the cylinders (down position) would help protect them. But not really an issue.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If water left in the lower unit freezing is the concern, why not just start the engine for 2 seconds to blow the water out?<br /><br />I know I know, never start the engine without water in it. But, isn't water in it?<br /><br />It would seem to me that if the impeller is wet, it will lubricate for a second or 2 before getting dried out.

bobh2000

Recruit

For anyone living in areas where the air gets cold enough to freeze things you want to leave the motor down to be sure all the water drains out of the engine. When it's tilted up water can trap in the block and freeze. <br /><br />You wise guys in Florida can ignore this, you lucky @#%$^&'s!

groulx

Recruit
I believe after working on outboards for over 30 years. If your leaving your boat docked in salt water, and your not planning on flushing the engine. Than leave it down. This will keep the water from drying the impeller thus leaving the salt to eat away at it and and other crucial parts. Other- wise, yes raise it out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.