To Buy Or Not To Buy ???

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: To Buy Or Not To Buy ???

The only experience that i have is on kayacs and canoes. Never been on a real boat so far.I heard is fun though! :) Anyway, my wife and i are more of an outdoor type so we were thinking that we might enjoy having a boat.We were considering renting too but it seems to expensive.As for pulling it i have a ford expedition.

You mentioned you wanted a jet. The real advantage to a jet (other than the fun factor) is that it drafts very low. You've got a ton of water in MI and unless you're really pushing your luck in low water typically, I'd expand on wanting a jet.

I'm with the other posters - if best deals are boats, non-dealer, that are a few years old. Michigan is beautiful for boating, I try to get up there every summer.. A long winter means boats that are low hours and kept inside, I bet I could make a living buying them and driving them down to TX before gas got expensive...

Post up what your needs are in regard to boating.
You can finance used boats easily - just see your credit union.

cbavier

Lieutenant

What real on-board experience do you have? What you think you might like while sitting in a a recliner may be a lot different than what you might want after a year of experience. Give some thought to renting various sizes and types of boats for a year then buy.

Also give some thought to what you are going to pull whatever you buy. What is your planned tow vehicle?

florinv1 has stated they have never owned a Boat so they have no experience.
They need to give some long hard serious thought about what kind, size, configuration and what they want to use the boat for, before making any purchase. I stated the shows because money didn't seem to be an issue since he stated Looking New. I would recommend the shows to see what all is out there in style and configuration. I also recommend a Boaters safety Course they are free and given through the U.S. Coast Guard or Power Squadron. they will start popping up in Michigan soon at Dealers and Marina's.

One major thing that has been mentioned is Draft. Depending where they intend to use the boat should determine size of boat. Great Lakes vs Inland Lakes. The draft is extremely critical. Michigan's waterway levels are extremely low and especially the Great Lakes and Lake St Clair. A dealer will tell a potential customer anything to rack up a sales. florinv1 you want a boat that has a shallow draft. Mine is 32 inches and that is a problem. It's great on deep water and very stable but I cannot Bass Fish well out of the boat because I cannot get close enough to the shoreline. The draft 32 inches makes beaching difficult and boarding and un-boarding from a beach difficult. Docks are no problem. Launch I must use a State owned or Marina Dock so as to have enough water to float the boat at launch. The deeper draft means I must carefully watch the water depth while underway because of sand bars (they are H*#L on props at $150 each and not good on the outdrive either.

Another thing to seriously consider is Aluminum or Fiberglass. Aluminum is basically Maintenance Free, doesn't scuff or scratch easy. Fiberglass is none of the above. I've had both so I know from experience. Yes Fiberglass is prettier, more stable in the water but a lot of work to maintain. Am I sorry I bought mine ? NO emphatically NO but if I had it to do over again. It would be Aluminum, Outboard again and shallower draft. A Draft under two feet for sure.

Check the forum under boat restorations (stringers pushing through bottom of boat) and get an idea of WHAT NOT TO BUY..LOL

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

A couple folks gave some advice to you suggesting that you should slow down,
but I would suggest that you STOP! STOP! STOP!, and look around and learn!

There is so much to learn about boats, and your boating season is not going
to really start for a couple of months yet. Your confusion is appropriate, because
there is so much to learn and evaluate before "signing the papers".

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I know many folks who regretted their boat
purchase, and for 2 main reasons:

1. They were in a hurry. Haste makes waste.

2. They got a deal they couldn't pass up.
Later realized it was not what they really wanted and needed.

Stop, take a look around, and learn! And have a good time while at it!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Man, I know how hard it is to take your time when you want something. But if you have never boated before I'd suggest going slow too. Why don't you try renting a couple of different types for the first couple of months this coming season and see what you like? Outbord, vs Inboard/Outboard, vs Jet. You have already learned a major boating lesson and that is -- if your family isn't comfortable -- you ain't gettin them out much! So listen to their concerns about size, seating configuration, ease of boarding, etc. Besides the obvious advantages to this approach, by the time you decide what you want the season will be well underway and you might find some deals that people want to get off their lots or out of their yards.

At this point I will also put in a plug for considering a used boat. I got mine from a gent who assumed his kids would want to waterski and bought with that in mind. Well, after two years of logging barely 10 hours a season, he concluded his family were not that into it. His kids were also of an age were they were going off to school and were never around, so bad timing there. Too bad for him paying full freight and depreciation. Better for me coming along and scooping what amounted to something almost brand new for many thousands off MSRP.

Also, get yourself into a recognized boating safety course. And if you have any boating friends that can take you out and and give some handling tips, that's invaluable too. And we haven't even begun to discuss trailering and launching. Pop on over to that side of the forum and have a look around. Plenty to learn there!

And finally, welcome to the best, most financially draining hobby outside of auto racing and aviation! :p Have fun!