To Buy Or Not To Buy ???

florinv1

Cadet
Hi everybody!!!
I never owned a boat but since i live in Michigan and we have more than a few inland lakes around here i decided to go in to boating and buy a boat-new . I was looking for a jet boat but they seem a little to expensive for me and the ones that i could afford (15 feet) do not offer to much comfort (for my wife ) so i decided (helped by my wife) to make a compromise and look for something a little more comfortable.Last week i went to a boat show to look for a 18 feet propeller boat.I want to use it mainly for water sports (never done any of them so far) and cruising with friends.I like speed therefore i would like it to be as fast as possible. This is what i saw (all around 18 feet 2008): sting ray 135hp - $16000+tax ,crowline -don't remeber the price, tahoe 190hp,19 feet for $ 21500 out the door-didn't like the interior , glastron 18 feet 190hp around $21000 (didn't like it after a saw the azure) and azure 188 elite, 18 feet 190hp, $24000 out the door. The one that i liked is azure 188 elite. It comes with trailer with brakes,bow cushion filer , depth finder, engine hour meter , bow and cockpit cover,bimini top, volvo 190hp with 6 years warranty,lifetime hull warranty, 5 years electronics warranty ,tilt and power steering,jbl mp3 with 4 speakers,bolster seats,pop up cleats,srt plus vinyl 29oz 50 mil thick and the list goes on. I have to go Monday to sign the papers but i am not sure if this is a good deal. I tried to look online for some reviews on the boat but i found none.And there are barely any informations on azure boats. It Azure a good brand? Is the az188 a good boat at this price? Should i buy this one or should i look for a different brand?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

D

DJ

Re: To Buy Or Not To Buy ???

The four cylinder boats are NOT in the same class as the six cylinder offerings.

You get what you pay for.

If it were me, I'd go Volvo. It's just a much more refined system. IMHO. MerCruisers are fine too and will serve you well.

Get the biggest engine you can afford. It will pay off, come resale time.

cbavier

Lieutenant

florinv1

Welcome Aboard i Boats. You'll find lots of educational and helpful friends here. :)
If you want speed buy a V-8 nothing under 200 HP

I too am in Michigan. I suggest you start looking to take a USCG Boaters safety Course. They will be popping up soon. Also have your Boat Coast Guard Inspected. You must buy Insurance and you will not only be safer and safer to fellow boaters but also get a reduced rate on your Insurance.

As far as buying a new Boat. Go to the Boats shows. Manufacturers and Dealers both will both offer incentives you won't find just going to a dealer. Check around and talk to other boaters to find a reputable Dealer for he/ she will be either your best friend or worst enemy. Buy from a local Dealer close to home where you can get convenient service.

Again Welcome ABOARD

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

being you first boat, i'm going to suggest, going with an outboard, they are much more owner friendly for maintenance, much easier to winterize. which to me is a big deal. also you don't have an engine taking up valuable space in the boat, an 18 foot boat has far more usable room than a 20 foot inboard/outboard. the etec, or 4 stroke Yamaha. get the maximum hp the hull is rated for. you don't necessarily have to use all the HP. but it is nice to have when you have a 230 lb man on the end of the tow rope.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sure do agree with TASHASDADDY about considering an outboard. Suggest you also consider looking at newer used boats. Should be a lot of them out there this spring with the owners more than happy to sell. Do you plan to pay cash or finance? Makes a big difference. FRED

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Slooowwwww down! Ask some more questions and learn a bit! You have started to find what sort of boat suits you now take a bit more time to learn about different power options, etc.

I can't say I agree with the outboard recommendation - there's a reason most pleasure/sports boats are I/O. Yes, an outboard has some advantages, but most like the more refined, clean or whatever look of the I/O more and the engine isn't in the way for water sports.

I WOULD highly recommend a used boat though for financial reasons and for any new boater. Nothing depreciates like a boat! And a 4-5 year old boat can be in truly "like new" condition. Here in the north boating season is 3-5 months for most folks and some just find out they have no time or money for it. They then sell the boat they spent $30k new for $18k. Oh, and they used it maybe 20 times total then stored it indoors! THAT is the boat you want, IMO.

Also, new boaters tend to make some mistakes that at least ding up their boats. Better to do this with a slightly used boat than a brand new one!

Boats that can go fast cost a lot more. For example, that Azure 188 (sonda like a nice boat!) is NOT powered for speed. You'd need a step up or two in power options which will cost you $2-3k more at least. Used but in great shape, maybe you get $10 off the price or more!

Your call, of course. We only give suggestions how to spend YOUR money! But many new boaters learn this stuff the hard AND expensive way.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I WOULD highly recommend a used boat though for financial reasons and for any new boater. Nothing depreciates like a boat! And a 4-5 year old boat can be in truly "like new" condition. Here in the north boating season is 3-5 months for most folks and some just find out they have no time or money for it. They then sell the boat they spent $30k new for $18k. Oh, and they used it maybe 20 times total then stored it indoors! THAT is the boat you want, IMO.

That's the boat I bought. You can typically find a 2 year old boat with 50 or less hours on it (mine had 17) and the optimistic new boat buyer who bought the boat and did not use it, also usually bought skis, jackets, anchors, etc, and they throw all this in with the sale.

Either way, new or used, I would advocate at least 18 feet, consider 19. I would advocate at least the 4.3 unless you are looking at a boat with the new fuel injected 3.0. Also, if you are going new and have some cushion, I might consider the Stingray or Glastron hull that is a little cheaper and spend the extra money on having a fuel injected 4.3 (which would push the hp from 190 to 220). That would help performance and re-sale more than a few extra bells and whistles, IMHO.

I have heard nothing but good things about Azure, and they sure look good!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

TMH gave you some very good advice. Just one comment, not to start an i/o , o/b debate, outboards around here, salt water, outnumber i/os at least 20 to 1. Never seen an i/o on any charter boats. They are all o/bs or diesels on the bigger boats. FRED

tashasdaddy

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

florinv1

Cadet

Thank you DJ !
The azure has a volvo 4.6 190 hp. Is it enough for a 2800 lbs boat?

tashasdaddy

imho, minimum, i would want more if planning water sports.

florinv1

Cadet

Thank you pine island fred !
I am going to finance the boat. That was one of the reasons why i decided to go with a new boat. They are easier tho finance,i think .

florinv1

Cadet

Thank you to everybody for your sugetions.
I really thought that it was going to be a little easier for me to decide what boat to buy after posting the thread. Instead i am more confused than before. New vs. old : i/o vs o/s :4.6 190 seems not to be enough...ohhhh boy!
So,if i want to go for a new one what brand,is azure a good brand.....?
If i want to go for a use one, what brand hold its value better (if it matters)...?
As for i/o vs o/i i liked the the o/i becouse there are less engine parts showing in the event of water sports and swimming. Is that a good reason or should i reconsider?
Ohhh boy!

rndn

Commander

You can finance used boats from private sellers also. In 1994 I bought a Baja Force 216 with a 5.7 liter mercruiser alpha outdrive for $12,600.00. The guy owed 18k and change and needed to borrow 6k from his mother to pay off his loan so i could get the clear title. I borrowed the money from my credit union and all worked out great. He gave me his original receipt for the boat that he had paid over 30k in 1989. The boat had 44 hours on it and looked like new. I had the boat for 10 years and over 350 additional hours and sold the boat for $8,800. If you don't count my maintenance expenses my cost per year for the used boat was $380.00 per year. The guy I bought it from paid $3,480.00 per year. Do the math and you'll never buy new unless your last name is Gates or Trump.
I also want to add that the boat in my signature was bought second hand last year for $3,600.00 and it's like brand new. The receipt showed the original buyer paid $24k. The original painted spark plug plugs were still in the motor and ran great so I know it had very few hours.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Which ever way you go make sure you maintain it, thats what keeps resale values up. For example, alot of people don't really care for the older bayliners which is fine but if faced with the choice between a neglected sea ray and a well maintained bayliner I would go the bayliner. Thats just me but most people when looking at boats look for condition and maintainance history. As stated already if you want speed go the V-8 you wont be sorry, but a good outboard can be a very fast, strong, easily maint. powerplant as well. If you plan on doing some thingd yourself outboards are easy to work on for sure. Winterizing is a snap 1/2 day max and about $25.00 worth of stuff that you can do yourself. I/O are not so easy and unless you are pretty mech inclined be best advised to have a service center winterize for you. Spend time on this site to get yourself familiar with ALL things boat related great advise that can save you in a lot of ways. Good luck welcome to a wonderful pastime.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I encourage you to slow down, look around, and think about things. I, too, am a Michigander, and we've got a good 2 months before launch time -- longer if you intend to get wet and not freeze. ;)

Where in Michigan are you planning on boating? Big water or small lake? Makes a big difference.

Where will you be storing your boat when not in the water? If you've got a garage 20' deep, with typical boat trailer tongue 2' past the front of the boat, and you need to be able to get to the back in the boat, you may max out at a 16' - 17' footer. If you want to consider a swing-away tongue, it's better to do that before you buy it.

You've been advised to start with a used boat in good condition. That's excellent advice. You may want to move up later, but give yourself a starting point that's not crushing. Take your time and look around, and you should be able to find an excellent used boat for a price you might not need to finance.

Most of our boating is on a smaller very shallow lake 30 miles inland from Ludington, so we need a very shallow-draft, smaller boat. Our 14' jetboat is ideal for us. If we were going to be on a bigger lake, it wouldn't be. (And of course I've got "2-foot-itis").

Also consider how you'll tow it. Do you currently have -- or are you prepared to buy -- a tow vehicle that can readily tow 3000#? Or should you start out with a smaller, lighter boat for the time being.

Now add in previous considerations of water sports, power, cost, reliability, maintenance cost, i/o or outboard, etc.

Life is always a set of compromises. I'd love to have bigger-better-faster, but then I like to be able to eat regularly, too.:rolleyes: Try and list out every facet you even might want to consider.

By May you should find a lot more boats on the market. You're not in a hurry.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I looked for three months for a Boat. It seems like when your not looking they are everywhere but when you want one and are looking to buy. There's not one worth having for sale anywhere.The point is to be patient, take your time and be sure to get what you need to do what you want to do with a Boat.

Three of us from Michigan on this post - GREAT STATE - GREAT LAKES

Me from - Roscommon, Mi ........ Northern Paradise

Arboldt - Portage, Mi.......... Middle grounds

florinV1 - Undisclosed or Top Secret, Mi .......No Mans Land ;)

billybones

Seaman

Hi, I have owned 3 boats in MI. picking up my 4th next week. First was a 15 ft runabout, safety mate 72 Big merc fast no real room. Second was a searay 24.5 cuddy cabin 305 I/O kept in a marina on Lk St. claire. expensive all the time. current is a 12 ft tinny with a 7.5hp merc. Now I am going to a Polar kraft 16ft 55hp bass boat and think this is what I should have had all along.. Spent a lot of money .. especially on the sea ray.. 1000 a summer and a 1000 a winter.. storage. I wont own a I/o again. won't own Fiberglass again.. Both are a lot of up keep and difficult. Just want to go out and fish.. Only problem with the 12 ft. just a tad to small. Hoping this does the trick. Point is take some time to learn what you want. Good luck! and happy boating. Funny you mention the buying thing here it has happened to me every time.. Can't find nothing with money in hand..

Last edited:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

What real on-board experience do you have? What you think you might like while sitting in a a recliner may be a lot different than what you might want after a year of experience. Give some thought to renting various sizes and types of boats for a year then buy.

Also give some thought to what you are going to pull whatever you buy. What is your planned tow vehicle?

florinv1

Cadet

The only experience that i have is on kayacs and canoes. Never been on a real boat so far.I heard is fun though! :) Anyway, my wife and i are more of an outdoor type so we were thinking that we might enjoy having a boat.We were considering renting too but it seems to expensive.As for pulling it i have a ford expedition.