To big of an engine?!

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1980 bass tracker with the original 40hp Mercury 2 stroke. After assembling the ol girl from bags and bags of parts and finishing my boat build to fishing it a few times. 40hp only gets me to 22ish mph with gear 2 people etc.

I have a chanct to scoop up an old early 80s 2 stroke Mercury 85hp Very cheap Is this way to big for my boat? I think I may be rated to 60ish but none of those old stickers are on the boat.

My wonder is a 1980s 2 stroke 85 is not the same as a new heavy 85hp weight wise Or probably even power wise.

Any opinions or insight on this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Figured as much, just needed someone to to tell me! Seems there is no in between 40/85 outboards for sale round here.

Look elsewhere.

Depending which 1980 tracker model you have, max hp is 60 for the III

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Hell Yeah!!!!
Put the 85 in it and have at it!!!!

I don't know anyone that's says there anything is to powerful for them.
Max plates on boats are like tags on a mattress.....
A guy had 300 HP on my same rig.... must've been a rocket ship!!!

Great day all
:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
22 MPH is very poor for a 40 HP motor, need to prop it right with less pitch prop to run towards its max wot rpm range factory stated as loaded. Have bit more fun and avoid spending extra cash on a different motor. Will need to install a tach for that purpose as can't be done blindly without one, not even having a fine tuned musician ear.

Happy Boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hell Yeah!!!!
Put the 85 in it and have at it!!!!

I don't know anyone that's says there anything is to powerful for them.
Max plates on boats are like tags on a mattress.....
A guy had 300 HP on my same rig.... must've been a rocket ship!!!

Great day all
:)
Need to be careful recommending certain stuff to people ya dont know.

To the OP, in some states (mine included) simply overpowering the placard max hp is considered reckless operation and punishable, even if you stay outta the throttle and are "careful"

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need to be careful recommending certain stuff to people ya dont know.

To the OP, in some states (mine included) simply overpowering the placard max hp is considered reckless operation and punishable, even if you stay outta the throttle and are "careful"

And they do check, more than once I was stopped, and they checked the boat for maximum power rating to see if my Yamaha 20 hp i had was legal on my old 14' Princecraft.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What's with the snark?
Its fine with me. He doesn't believe in being legal is all, and feels over powering is fun. Not a big deal, I got used to haters by age 10, because I try to do things correctly. Eventually that goes wrong for them, but I don't think that they care much. Pay the fines, and continue on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Its fine with me. He doesn't believe in being legal is all, and feels over powering is fun. Not a big deal, I got used to haters by age 10, because I try to do things correctly. Eventually that goes wrong for them, but I don't think that they care much. Pay the fines, and continue on.

You better read these posts again and think before hitting reply.

Sorry Lund! Hit the wrong quote, meant to get attaboy, not you.

You get a ----- 🌟
And a " atta boy "

Last edited: