title for a old boat

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
(pennsylvania) My father has been kicking around the idea of rebuilding a 70's 23 seacraft that was given to him about a year ago. One of his renters moved out and couldn't take it with them, so they gave it to him with a signed off title. Last week he went to check on registration and the notary said they couldn't do anything with the title w/o the previos owners sig being notarized. Well, the PO is nowhere to be found and have no idea how to contact him. Notary was no help with any ideas. Anybody have any ideas of what to do or where to go from here?

chad

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: title for a old boat

certain people have been known to pay a notary to notarize it without the "seller" present. of course, that's illegal...... otherwise you need to jump through some hoops.... most states have procedures for dealing with an abandoned vehicle and in many you can simply get a court order for a title by appearing before a judge.... your best bet is likely to work a bit harder at tracking down the previous owner....

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I agree with smoke, while having it notarized without the seller is an option, it is illegal, albeit hard to prove if the PO doesn't kick up a fuss over it which chances are he wont since he signed the title and bill of sale.

Being the land owner where the boat was originally abandoned does help in doing it right though because you have the legal right to register a boat abandoned on your private property (even though he signed your bill and title, he did leave it on your land so can claim it was abandoned there worse case) here is a link to PA code on this

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter93/s93.17.html

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Every state has a Boating Law Administrator who administers all boating laws in the state. I suggest you call. She can proably tell you how to solve this problem. Don't fiddle with the gofers at the bottom. Go to the top

Boating Law Administrator
Laurel Anders
PO Box 67000
Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000

Phone: 717.705.7849

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

For the boat in my sig, all I needed was the bill of sale from the last person who the boat was registered to. I did NOT need to title the boat to register it. Titling the boat is an option. :cool:

P.S. the bill of sale did NOT have to be notarized either.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the post above shows that the process is often a function of the particular clerk you happen to have, rather than the procedures as written.
I deal with various clerk's offices and similar government entities all day long and it is astounding how inconsistent they can be.

cyclops2

Banned

Keep trying different Clerks in the surrounding area. DO NOT EVER say you were previously refused !!!!!!that puts this clerk in a bind. Just say ...I want to run it on the water.

I would make copies of the bill of sale, registration & keep one of each in a freezer bag in the boat or your tackle box. Works wonders with grumpy water offical checks. Especially when out of state.
Judges get ticked off if a person is ticketed with that much proof of ownership.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Unless the previous owner was a "John Smith", he should be found easily on the internet.
Start in Anywho.com or WhitePages.com using the old address. Most people will pop up--even if you must pay a few dollars to get their present name and address.
A landlord usually knows who the lessor's employer was--and they can be contacted.
Also, go to your local post office and see if a change of address is on record. You can pay USPO a couple of bucks for info on the change of address.

Then, go to the State for their advice.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

All I did was call the Pa Boat and Fish commission @ 866-262-8734 and told the woman who answer ed what I had from previous owner and she told me to send it in with my check. That was all it took.
In Pa , it is FAR easier to register a boat than was to deal with the DMV to get a title and registration for a trailer without any paperwork.....