Tires spinning while using ramps

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tires spinning while using ramps

Thanks Rwidman for you post,<br /><br />Not sure at what point you understand that I had a roller trailer..I reviewed my post and am not sure where you may have gotten confussed. My trailer is a common bunk trailer with on 2 rollers that support the center. For all purposes I'm looking for assistance with my trailer that has bunks. With regards to trailering....I only trailer the boat 50yrds to the ramp that is giving me trouble. I have no need to trailer as the storage and ramps are on the same property. My priority is to get up the ramp and of course the boats safety on the trailer is cleary important as well.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rwidman for you post,<br /><br />Not sure at what point you understand that I had a roller trailer..I reviewed my post and am not sure where you may have gotten confussed. My trailer is a common bunk trailer with on 2 rollers that support the center. For all purposes I'm looking for assistance with my trailer that has bunks. With regards to trailering....I only trailer the boat 50yrds to the ramp that is giving me trouble. I have no need to trailer as the storage and ramps are on the same property. My priority is to get up the ramp and of course the boats safety on the trailer is cleary important as well.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Fair points by all but, I never saw a post saying you were on rollers either which is why I suggested moving the weight forward on the trailer. In my case I have no adjustment at the axles but plenty at the front and my boat sits on bunks. Most well designed trailers have ‘either or’ adjustment as they are intended to suit various boats and setups. <br /><br />But back to your problem, it sounds like your making some gains but I like the notes from mark42 re the possibility of the ball binding on the coupling and resulting in the trailer jacking the car up at the rear!! Interesting...idea and that kind of thinking makes us all a bit smarter. Speaking of smarts' if my physics holds up than raising the ball will move the weight back!! And could make your binding problem (if it exists in your case) worse!! Raising or lowering the ball may be governed by the resulting ride height at the ball but if you lower it from standard you should see more weight on the ball and may even eliminate that binding problem. Not sure how you ramp is set up but are you able to exit the ramp from a side at an angle? If not and you get sick of all this adjusting this and moving that and your only going from the shed to the ramp than it may be that you just need to stir the old girl up a little and get off the ramp with a little more momentum! <br /><br />A ‘hook’ in the bottom is the term used to describe a hull with a concave or inverted shape to it, this can result in a lot of unnecessary drag as your boat runs through the water. It’s normally caused at production but can also be caused by rollers sitting under ‘non-supported’ areas of the hull; this can be very bad as the roller can eventually punch straight through the hull.<br /><br />Good luck.

rwidman

Lieutenant

...... and confirm the transom is over the rear roller ........
That's what made me believe we were talking about a roller trailer. ;) <br />
...I only trailer the boat 50yrds to the ramp that is giving me trouble. I have no need to trailer as the storage and ramps are on the same property.
OK, There is not much of a safety issue here except for the danger of the boat pulling the tow vehicle into the water but support for the boat is still important.<br /><br />You could increase the tongue weight beyond the recommended percentage or you could add sandbags to the truck bed just for launching and retrieving and store them next to the trailer.<br /><br />
A ‘hook’ in the bottom is the term used to describe a hull with a concave or inverted shape to it, this can result in a lot of unnecessary drag as your boat runs through the water. It’s normally caused at production but can also be caused by rollers sitting under ‘non-supported’ areas of the hull; ........
Or the transom of the boat weighted down by engines or outdrives and unsupported by the trailer.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

rwidman (Ron) is correct you should measure the weight at the coupler.<br /><br />DougV>

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're only moving the boat 50 yards, move the boat farther forward and put the ball back down; worry about all the rest of the details when you decide to put some miles on your trailer.