Tires spinning while using ramps

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm pulling a 26' ft. Mako center console with my V8 Tahoe and am having a little trouble. Tahoe pulls fine up ramp but once the truck clears the ramps and is level the tires begin to slip as the trailer is still coming up the ramp.<br /><br />It helps to come up ramp in an angle however when boat is gas tank is full, it makes spins again. If I can get someone to stand on bumper this helps also.<br />My hitch appears to be very low to the ground.Only a few inches clearence when reaching highest point of boat ramp. Would it help to raise hitch with a riser. Dont want to spare the expense of a 4 wheel drive.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tires spinning while using ramps

Several things to consider: 1) Type of tread pattern on rear tires. Street tires have very little "digging" ability -- consider a more agressive tread pattern. 2) If you don't have a limited slip differential, adding it would likely solve the problem. 3) If one person on the back bumper helps, insufficient tongue weight may be an issue. 4) Raising the hitch would not likely help. In fact getting it above horizontal would make it worse.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you move the boat farther forward on the trailer? = more weight on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle...

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I can move the boat up at least 12"-16". My only concern is that the tongue is already so low.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As mentioned in original post...the Tahoe pulls up the ramp fine...its when the car levels when pulling the boat out and the trailer is still moving in an upward morion as it is reaching the top of the ramp. It appears as though it is than lifting the rear of the car an allowing the wheels to spin.

ST

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think upinsmoke and Nick gave you good alternatives to solving your problem.<br /><br />Another think you may consider:<br /> <br />-Raising the rear axle of the Tahoe: with different Shocks/higher profile tires?<br />-Moving any heavy stuffs (batteries/gas/coolers/anchor etc)from the stern area to the mid or front section of the boat?<br /><br />I think a combinations of the above suggestions already given should help you.<br />Good luck! :)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Drive up the ramp a little faster so the momentun carries you over the hump. Also check your tounge weight should be about 7% of the total weight of your loaded rig. Also make sure when you are towing that your trailer travels level.<br /><br />You have mentioned a couple of times how low it is already. If the trailer is traveling tounge down, when you reach the point where tire spin starts, the front axle of your trailer has probably collapsed the suspension on that axle. Therefore creating lift on the rear of your vehicle. The weight of the boat behind the front axle is actually using the front axle as a fulcrum point.<br /><br />Is possible the springs on the trailer are bad (lost spring tension due to rust and decay). It also may be that the ramp is just to steep for that size boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because the hitch is low is no reason not to add tongue weight if its already light. The truck and trailer should ride level (parallel to the ground). If you need to use a riser by all means do so. 10% is not too much tongue weight. More is better than not enough.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you need to rerig your trailer.<br /><br />1. Locate the boat so that the transom is right on the rear roller or right over the end of the trailer.<br /><br />2. Move the axle assembly on the frame so that 7-10% of the total trailer weight is on the hitch.<br /><br />3. Adjust the height of the ball so that on level ground the trailer frame is level (horizontal).<br /><br />If you still get wheelspin, put a couple hundred pound of weight in the bed.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of good advice in the posts above, I would go back to basics as your symptoms seem a little severe. Take you rig with all the normal gear and with fuel tanks at least half full to your local weigh bridge and unhitch it and get the total gross weight. Next weigh the Tahoe on its own. Then hook up the boat again but back the trailer off the bridge and reweigh the Tahoe, subtract the weight of the Tahoe with the boat attached but with the trailer wheels off the bridge from the weight of the Tahoe on its own. The difference is the weight which is being applied to the tow hitch. Should be at or close to 10% of the total gross weight of the boat and trailer with all gear aboard. If it’s to light than it will hamper you when you need traction the most which is as you describe as you come over the hump at the top of the ramp. Move the boat forward until you get that 10% of total weight onto the hitch. If this results in an uneven ride height than you need to address that with the suspension on the Tahoe or you could fit ride levelers but they may have to be disconnected until you’re clear of the ramp as they could actually make matters worse until your on flat ground. Keep in mind the total weight and compare this with the vehicle and hitch manufactures recommended maximums!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving the boat around to get the tongue weight right is dangerous for the boat. That is how boats develop hooks in the keel. Locate the boat for optimum support at the transom.<br /><br />Moving the CG around to get tongue weight right is done by shifting the axle(s) location on the frame. Many people don't even know this can be done. Take a look at your trailer.<br /><br />I am beginning to wonder if your Tahoe is rated for the weight of a 26' CC.

BillP

Captain

Measure the tongue weight before you start moving the boat or axles around. Use public scales or go to a small local airport to find portable scales used for weight and balance on airplanes. Contact your local EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.)chapter to find these too. Then you can do the math to calculate exactly what action is needed. <br /><br />Some boats (that size)can move a foot or two on the trailer without support problems. Like JB sez it's best to have the transom supported within a few inches. If your boat has motors hung on a bracket it is more critical than ones mounted on the transom.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB,<br />Not sure what hooks in the keel are. I'll check today and confirm the transom is over the rear roller. The engines are on a bracket adding more weight past the back end of the boat. Will post my findings....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Is it possable that the coupler is binding or reached it's limit of travel when the truck is level but the trailer is still coming up the ramp? If the connection is binding, then it could force the back of the truck up and you will lose traction on the rear tires. <br /><br />Take a look at the coupler and ball and see if there are any rub or impact marks that indicate the ball and coupler are binding. The neck of the ball and the fork on the coupler are the most likely places to see wear marks.<br /><br />Also, disconnect and inspect the ball and inside of coupler for galling that can indicate that the coupler is adjusted too tight. A light coat of grease on the ball doesn't hurt, especially if your trying to eliminate the connection as being a source of your problem. <br /><br />It's best to only make one change at a time and then test it rather than making a bunch of changes at once. You will not know what actually was the cause of your problem unless you test changes one at a time.<br /><br />By brother in law tows a 23 or 26ft center console on a dual axle trailer with a Suburban up until last year when he sold it for a new pickup. The suburban never had problems, but it also had a limited slip rear and 4wd.

rwidman

Lieutenant

It's important to have the boat supported correctly by the trailer. From your post it appears that you have a roller trailer so the rear roller should be supporting the transom. Next, you need to adjust for the correct tongue weight. Many boat trailer manufacturers recommend between 5% and 8% of the total weight for tongue weight with tandem axle trailers at the lower portion of the range. If the axle(s) are fastened to the frame with "U" bolts, moving them is the easiest way to do this. Otherwise, you may have to look at repositioning the rollers or another method of moving the axles. The trailer should ride as close to level as possible when connected to your tow vehicle. Buy a dropped or raised ball mount to accomplish this.<br /><br />Only after the trailer has been set up properly for proper boat support and safe trailering should you attempt to address the spinning issue.<br /><br />Correct tire pressure and quality tires in good condition should be the first step. Driving technique may help solve your problem. Adding weight to the rear of the tow vehicle will help but it will hurt fuel mileage and may overload the vehicle. You may even need to remove debris from the ramp to avoid spinning.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:<br />O.K., I went out to the Marina this afternoon and heres what I've done. Raised the ball 4" and moved the boat forward about 10". I did notice the transom is still hanging off the bunkers by at least 12". I can still move the boat forward so should I. Not sure of tongue weight but the trailer does not appear to be putting alot of weight on my Tahoe after raising the ball. The boat did pull out much better. The wheels did begin to spin but I let off gas for a moment and then began forward again with no slip. That is the first time I've been able to move forward without having to back up into the water to get another running start.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:<br />O.K., I went out to the Marina this afternoon and heres what I've done. Raised the ball 4" and moved the boat forward about 10". I did notice the transom is still hanging off the bunkers by at least 12". I can still move the boat forward so should I. Not sure of tongue weight but the trailer does not appear to be putting alot of weight on my Tahoe after raising the ball. The boat did pull out much better. The wheels did begin to spin but I let off gas for a moment and then began forward again with no slip. That is the first time I've been able to move forward without having to back up into the water to get another running start.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a jack on the tongue (I would think you would) you can put a bathroom scale under the jack (use a small peice of wood to spread the load) and jack the trailer onto it. Be careful to not exceed the scale capacity (usually 299 lbs). You now know your tongue weight. All you need is the total boat and trailer weight to start your adjustments if needed.<br /><br />DougV>

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by djvan:<br /> If you have a jack on the tongue (I would think you would) you can put a bathroom scale under the jack (use a small peice of wood to spread the load) and jack the trailer onto it. Be careful to not exceed the scale capacity (usually 299 lbs). You now know your tongue weight. All you need is the total boat and trailer weight to start your adjustments if needed.<br /><br />DougV>
The only way you'll know what the boat/trailer weighs is to take it to a scale so you might as well get the tongue weight measurement there as well.<br /><br />Even if you have weighed the boat/trailer and know the total weight and want to find the tongue weight after making adjustments, placing the tongue jack on a scale will not provide the tongue weight. You need to measure the weight at the coupler (where the trailer attaches to the ball) to get the actual tongue weight. The trailer must be level while taking this measurement so you'll need some sort of stand between the coupler and the scale or a platform to put the scale on.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by sunpacman:<br /> UPDATE:<br />O.K., I went out to the Marina this afternoon and heres what I've done. Raised the ball 4" and moved the boat forward about 10". I did notice the transom is still hanging off the bunkers by at least 12". I can still move the boat forward so should I. Not sure of tongue weight but the trailer does not appear to be putting alot of weight on my Tahoe after raising the ball. The boat did pull out much better. The wheels did begin to spin but I let off gas for a moment and then began forward again with no slip. That is the first time I've been able to move forward without having to back up into the water to get another running start.
First it was a roller trailer, now it has "bunkers". The boat must be supported at the transom by the trailer regardless of the type of trailer. Don't worry about slipping at the ramp until you have the boat correctly situated on the trailer. As a direct answer to your question, yes, move the boat forward until the transom is directly over the rear of the bunks or the last roller.<br /><br />The correct tongue weight is important for safe towing. Get it right, then worry about slipping at the ramp. Slipping at the ramp is secondary to safe towing.