Tires…

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok. Due to necessity, I had to get two different brands of tire for a trailer I am likely picking up tomorrow ( all 4 are flat, and about 350 miles away…..) I did t want to hunt in a “strange” town for tires, then wait around for them to get mounted, so I bought the tires already mounted from Tractor Supply and C-A-L Ranch. Same load rating, just different brands and treads. My thinking is to pair them on AXLES, rather than sides. If this is wrong, that’s why I’m asking…. Lemme know if I am about to epically screw up…

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd probably pair them on axles, too. I'd be worried about getting weird tracking problems if you put both of the same type of tires on one side.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not going to matter one bit....even if you had just replaced one tire as long as its the same type bias/radial

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
had no problems on the 300+ mile trip home. Did have to change out one hub, as the dust cap was missing when i got there.... so I swapped that out for cause.... rather than on the side of the road.

next up for the trailer is a full service on the other three wheels, and NEW WIRING.... the stuff on there is COOKED...... ended up using my "emergency" magnetic lights to be "legal"

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For the longest time, I was towing a tandem axle pontoon boat with 3 radials and a bias ply. I didn't even know I had that combo for the longest time. Of course the pontoon was light and probably could have been towed on a single axle trailer with the same sized tires.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
the radial/bias tire statement has always been for passenger cars, trucks, etc. That's because of steering and braking in association with a moveable suspension, connected with a power source. In other words, handling and tire wear.
Obviously, a trailer doesn't have all those variables.
I'm sure somewhere there are trailer manufacturers that say don't mix.
I would not do it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Radial and bias belt tires corner differently. That is one reason not to mix them on automobiles and trucks.
All my trailers came with bias belted tires. Even my 4300# dual axle trailer. Obviously, the tow vehicles are radial tire equipped. It would appear that is not therefore an issue.

matt167

Captain
I wouldn’t want to run it like that, but doubtful it would make a difference.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Radial & bias tires corner at different slip angles and that’s why they are felt to be incompatible on the same vehicle. I don’t think it matters though if you have a tow vehicle with radials & a trailer with bias. I have used Kenda Loadstar Bias tires for about 20 years with no failures not even a flat but I only do local towing.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My little 16 foot Aluminum boat trailer has had cheap auto sized tires. Both types on the same axle. since 1980. I have gotten at least 600 miles at 65 mph every year. Never a peep or heat up. I grease the bearings every 10 years or so. Same bearings since new. in 1980 ? I did do a adjustment of the bearings when brand new. No rusting of the completly repacked bearings when bought new.
I always check , repack and adjust bearings on new or used trailers. Then they run perfect forever.