Tire Shimmy...

Pappyball

Cadet
I recently had my wheel bearings re-built and re-packed, all new bearings, chases, even new lock nuts. Trailer is only about 2 years old from buying it new. The spindle is straight and true.

I put on new wheels and new tires. The wheels and tires I ordered on the internet. The tires arrived mounted to the wheels.

I put them on and tightened them down with a torque wrench to factory specs.

I get it on the road and I have an ever so slight shimmy in the left tire.

Any idea what is causing this????

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tire Shimmy...

I would start with a visual check on the tire and rim to make sure it was placed on properly, then a balance, if that does nothing pull it apart and start from scratch, some thing isnt seated properly, how tight is the nut on spindle, spin tire while tighting, when tire has preasure on it and wont spin so easy (just a little), back off nut a quarter turn.
thats how I was taught anyways.:)
rob

Pappyball

Cadet

Everything looks fine visually.

Maybe they need to be balanced?

I don't think they were balanced. I think they were just mounted and shipped to me.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

They definitely need to be balanced. That's most likely the problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To me a shimmy is a side to side wobble. Balance won't cause that, a bad wheel will.

If it is what I would call a hop it could be balance, but on small trailer tires enough imbalance to cause a hop is a serious problem. Could be tire or wheel is out of round.

Risk you take buying those things on the net. If iboats sold it they would take it back and replace it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jack up the trailer on that side and spin the wheel by hand while checking very carefully. Tires can be and often are molded with a crooked belt which is a relatively common complaint called "waddle". It is a tire defect and should be replaced. You can check for that by watching the tread as someone spins the tire. A horizontal shift of the tread is an indication of a crooked belt.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Just a question, are you sure you got the bearing races seated all the way into the HUB? If not, the wobble could because that bearing race is not running true inside the hub.

If that is all okay, and you have the axle nut at the correct torque, then it has to be the tire/wheel combo...