Tips to towing a small alum boat and 15hp outboard

wango

Cadet
Re: Tips to towing a small alum boat and 15hp outboard

Some people who are concerned about the transom remove the motor and lay it in the boat over the axle.

Several years ago I took my dad's small aluminum boat with me on vacation. I removed the outboard and layed it in the bottom of the boat. Over a very long washboard road in Michigan's upper peninsula the motor rubbed a hole through the aluminum, right through the bottom of the boat. We were able to repair it, but I learned a lesson about putting the motor in the boat. Now I put it in the truck for long trips. If you are pulling it with a car and don't have room for it, you may want to put some kind of barrier between the motor and the floor of your boat. A piece of plywood or thick rubber mat maybe.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 14' jon with a 15 hp 4 stroke, and use a deflopperizer - but I use a ratcheting tie down strap that's looped around the lower unit instead of a bungee. I've seen too many partial bungees lying on or near the ramps around here. :D I just figure it can't hurt and didn't cost that much.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

wango, please do not post to threads that are over 90 days old. See rule #12....Thanks..

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

wango

Cadet

wango, please do not post to threads that are over 90 days old. See rule #12....Thanks..

Chill out. I was trying to help the guy out by telling him I had damaged a boat doing that. Hoping that I could save him the same problem. I could have started a new thread but there is no guarantee he would read it. His question was specific to towing small aluminum boats (the title is "Tips to towing a small alum boat and 15hp outboard) my reply was specific to towing small aluminum boats, I did not hijack his thread. Nor did I ask any new questions. I did break rule #12 but if I saved the OP or anybody else the headache of damaging their boats, then I am not sorry and I would do it over again. I guess I could have pmed the OP but I thought maybe somebody else may benefit from my mistake. Of course you could have pmed me about rule 12 instead of calling me out in the forum, but you chose not to so that others may learn from my mistake as well.