Tips on reviving an old classic.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Became the owner of an '82 Yamaha XJ 550 Maxim motorcycle today. This is one of the bikes that has a cruiser chassis and a sportbike engine. Only has 3250 miles though! Has sat outside uncovered since late '86. Suprisingly though, it only has rust on the headlight bucket and mufflers. When I get it home I am planning on changing the oil, lubing cables, greasing all moving parts & bearings, and spraying penetrating oil into the cylinders. It is not seized so I want to keep it that way. Am planning on rebuilding all 4 carbs and petcock, but am I missing anything? With only 3250 miles it should run like new but I just want to make sure that it keeps doing so. I'm only paying $300 for it though so no big loss either way.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Tips on reviving an old classic.

Go for it and let us know what happens. I think you got it covered

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$300!!!<br /><br />Say, John. If you find another, I'll take it and give you a C-note as a finders fee. :)

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to check the throttle and clutch cables, don't want either one to stick on ya! Have fun!

ndemge

Commander

Check that kickstand!!!<br /><br />...I'm not a bike rider, but my sister and her husband are really big into it...<br /><br />He got a used goldwing couple years back, 3 days later he fliped it because the kickstand dropped down on a turn. Only a few bruised ribs, was putt'n around the subdivision luckily.