Tips on fishing from a boat?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tips on fishing from a boat?

Once again thanks. I found a neat little software ap on Eagle website that is a fish finder simulator. You can download it to your desktop and operate it just like the actual fish finder. It will allow you to learn what all of the buttons do and how to set the fish finder up. It's pretty cool. I've learned a lot already.

jayfarmlaw

Cadet

Boat fishing rule # 1<br />For every person you take with you, add at least 1 full hour to the time you had planned to get to the boat ramp<br /><br />Boat fishing rule # 2<br />When the fishing is really good, no line at the ramp, and you got there early...the boat wont start.<br /><br />Boat Fishing rule # 3<br />If the boat starts, you will not discover that the plug is in the truck until the water is ankle deep. Start singing, humming, or whistleing the Celine Dion theme song from Titanic now. For future reference, if you roll your underwear up REAL tight and jam it in the plug hole, you can actually make it back to the ramp. <br /><br />Boat Fishing Rule # 4<br />No matter how prepared you are...you forgot something. Unfortunately, you will not realize that you forgot it until you need it. Funny how that works. This applies to spark plugs, tools, boatplugs, boat keys, fishing poles, bait, lunch, fishing licenses, etc.<br /><br />Boat Fishing Rule #5<br />When you are fishing from the boat, all of the people on the bank will hold up stringers full of fish. It is a show of support for those upity fools with more money than sense that run out and buy boats...that havent caught a thing.<br /><br />Boat fishing Rule #6<br />No matter how many tools you own, the one you need will be at the house...not with you in the middle of the lake. Good thing you have a paddle and a cell phone...or do you?? (see rule #4)<br /><br />Boat fishing rule #7<br />None of the above rules will apply, nor will they be remembered once you hit the all day school of crappie, stripers, or whatever.<br /><br />Now that you are in a boat, you need to know the lake. Know the structures, depts, channels, points etc. Then know your fish and where they like to hide. Once you know all of that, the fish will change the rules and no...you do not get a vote.<br /><br />If it were easy, it wouldnt be any fun. Enjoy the boat, enjoy the time on the lake, that is what they are for. You will learn what works at what lakes but there will be the day that the fish will not cooperate anyway.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Jay

gonefishie

Commander

Jay, you forgot rule #8: it never rain when you brought enough rain gear for everyone on the boat.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Jayfarmlaw:<br /> ...For future reference, if you roll your underwear up REAL tight and jam it in the plug hole, you can actually make it back to the ramp....<br />
I won't even ask how you know that!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There has been a lot of good info here and I've also read a lot of info online. I'm really looking forward to trolling and drifting. I also want to try some drop-shotting for bass and walleye.