Tips on fishing from a boat?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've beena fisherman my entire life. I've always fished from either the bank or with waders for trout. But I bought my first boat last year (an old ;79 MFG superbass) and I really have a lot to learn on how to fish with it. WE took it out the end of last year and had some success just anchoring it and jigging for perch, but I really have no clue as to how I should use the boat for drift fishing and trolling. I have a bow mounted trolling motor and a 25hp Johnson Seahorse on the stern. I'm planning to purchase a depth finder within the next month or so. I want to have fun this summer and really learn how to fish this boat correctly but I don't know where to begin. I don't really know anyone else with a boat or any other boat fishing experts. Where do I start? I want to target several species such as Walleye, Musky, Bass, catfish, etc.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tips on fishing from a boat?

Accumulating knowlege about the species you're targeting. <br /><br />A lake map and your fishfinder will help you locate their habitats. Get the highest resolution fishfinder you can afford (resolution = vertical pixels per inch) - Eagle fishmark 320 is excellent, 480 even better. <br /><br />Invite an experienced fisherman to come with ya on a few trips - hiring a guide can be a good way to learn. Look for a local fishing forum.<br /><br />What kind of waters will you be fishing in mostly? Rivers, small lakes, big reserviors?<br /><br />And get a digital camera & post your catch here!

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll mostly be fishing small reserviors that range in size from 500 acres up to 3000 acres. I also plan on fishing a few rivers as well for musky. I'll have to look into finding someone knowledgable to help me out a bit. I'm not sure where to start there. <br /><br />I've looked at the Fishmark 480 and it's at the top of my list right now because of it's great price and features.<br /><br />I'm a pretty exerpienced angler for most species of fish, but I just don't know how to translate it toa boat. I'm not sure how to drift properly and how to rig for trolling and things like that. I'm hoping to find some nice internet sites that describe it in detail as well.<br /><br />Thanks for the tips. I always welcome more :)

heycods

Captain

Fishfinder,Fishfinder and fishfinder and learn how to use it . AS he said hire a guide and learn how to use it, Most know what your up against and will be willing to help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Figure wind direction and put boat upwind as much as possible using your trolling motor to keep you a certian distance from shore. I like to float along shore lines casting to shore. When trolling look for drop offs, points, inside turns, holes and structure. After playing with your fish finder you will figure these out. If you want an excellent fishing forum here is one FISHING It is minnesota based but an awsome bunch of guys that will answer any question you throw at them. Good luck and enjoy.

FLATHEAD

Captain

All the advise you can get is helpful, The only tip I'll give you is "Put your time in on the water"

Ron G

Commander

If your a knowledgeble bank fisherman put that skill to use,but time on the water is the big key,and dont be scared to try new things its fishing.

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The advantages when fishing from a boat is that you can cover ALOT of water. Also you can move away from the crowd.(Sometimes)With your electronics you can also "see" how deep it is and where the drop-offs are...etc.. <br /><br />Learn as much as you can about the water you are fishing. Get a map of the lake (river) many web sites have great information. Some state DNR sites have good information, while others don't.<br /><br />Also learn as much as you can about those fish that you are after. What are their habits? What are their favorite foods? And what are their likes and dislikes? Fishing for walleye is ALOT different than those Bass, and Musky is a whole different "ball game." <br /><br />I would suggest making friends with the local bait shop owner, Resort owner, or marina operator...You get the idea. Don't make it to difficult, just get out and practice and enjoy!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Fishfinder: always remember that only the far-right-hand column of pixels shows you what's under the boat right now...everything to the left is history. All the sonar returns represent objects that are within a circle, the diameter of which is approx. 1/3 the depth at which they appear (may vary, depending on "transducer cone angle"), and the center of which is directly under the transducer. The "Fish ID" feature is entertaining for youngsters, but it will interpret most anything as a fish - turn it off and learn to interpret the raw sonar returns for yourself. Here's a thread with a couple images of schools of fish on the screen. Lot's of good advice on that at Eagle tutorial.<br /><br />Schools of baitfish can appear as one or two kind of wavy lines across the screen, or as blobs sort of like a thumbprint; if it's strung out, keep moving - means there's no predator fish nearby - they ball up when under attack. If the bait is balled up, there will be gamefish nearby; look for and fish the nearest structure - humps, troughs, dropoffs.

wvstriper

Seaman Apprentice

BWS I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intended!). This will be my first full year freshwater fishing from a boat. Can't wait! Where in WV do you boat?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in Morgantown. What about you? <br /><br />I bought an old piece of junk MFG bass boat with a 25hp motor that I plan on fishing in this summer. It's definately not much but it better than what I had before (nothing). We fixed it up a bit and added some rod holders. We fished the Monongalia river and Cheat Lake last year near the end of the summer and had a blast considering we really didn't know what kind of techniques to use. We mainly just jig fished but I'd really like to learn how to troll for walleye and muskie and I'd also like to river fish for flathead catfish. The only thing I really still need to buy is a depth finder which is tops on my list. I'm trying to track down some of the local fishermen who are experts at boat fishing to help me figure out what I'm doing. I plan to spend a lot of time on the water this spring and summer (or at least as long as the old boat floats). LOL. We already have talked about trips to Stonewall Jackson, Burnsville, Summersville, and maybe Tygart.<br /><br />What about you?

one more cast

Captain

BWS, I am pretty good at catching fish but like you I was a bank fisherman for many years. I fish from my boat the same way i did from the bank. Many, many times I tie off on shore and just fish from the boat because thats what works for me. I to will be watching this post and learning.

aspeck

Staff member

BWS - Rule #1. Wear your PFD - get a good comfortable one that you can put up with all day long.<br /><br />Rule #2. Don't fall in. Don't laugh - have done it a few times reaching for that hawg to pull out of the water, or up into that tree to retreive a lure. Just be aware of where you are in the boat at all times, and where others are also. Simple movement can shift a boat and throw you into the water.<br /><br />Rule #3. Practice and ask questions. (Seems like you are doing this already - good for you.) More time on the water will equal more understanding of the water you are fishing.<br /><br />Rule #4. You will have to pay a little more attention to your surroundings then when you are wading or bank fishing. You will need to think sun, wind, depth, structure. It is always easiest to position your boat upwind and use the electric trolling motor to keep you straight, letting the wind take you where you want to go. The electric trolling motor will also keep you at the speed you want to drift. However, there are also other techniques for this - like putting a bucket on the end of a rope and throwing it overboard so the drag will slow you down.<br /><br />Rule #5. Be specific with your questions and your targets. Because most of the fish will respond at differently based on temp, barometric pressure, sunlight, time of day, etc, you need to tailor your fishing to a specific target (and yoru questions also). How do I troll for muskie? What is the best way to catch bass in early spring when the water temp hits 50 degrees? Etc.<br /><br />Lot of smart people on this forum - wish I was one of them! Good luck and enjoy your practice time!

JamesFrith

Cadet

jtexas, <br /><br />That was some great info on the fishfinder. I sure would appreciate any more tips or techniques you might have for them. I have cheap Eagle Cuda that I bought to find depth for diving, but cannot really figure out to interpret if for fishing. I have found, like you said, the thing registers everything as a fish.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

James, <br />I'm no expert, but the more time you spend with it, the better ya get - it doesn't take any special talents. Reading the sonar is more of an art than a science, but here's what I remember that helped me when I was starting out (hasn't been but 2 1/2 years or so.) <br /><br />I started out with the bottom of the line humminbird...I kept fishID on because otherwise it didn't show depth of targets, I think yours is the same. The Fishmarks have a depth indicator scale drawn down the side of the screen. <br /><br />My biggest problem was wanting to view the screen as a picture of what's under boat, vs. more of a time-line sort of thing. Check out the eagle tutorial I linked above, it's got real good illustration of what I mean. It'll show you why a fish makes an arch. <br /><br />Imagine an inverted cone from your transducer to the bottom. Anything anywhere inside that cone will light up a pixel on your display. Assuming a 20° 'ducer angle (common), at any given depth, the diameter of the circle cut from a cross-section of the cone is about 1/3 the depth. So pixel lit at 30 feet indicates an object within 5 feet of your transom (if that's where your 'ducer is), a 10-foot diameter. You don't know if it's left, right, behind or under the boat. <br /><br />The computer evaluates the echo and decides how dark or light gray to make it depending on signal strength, or whether to draw the fish picture. Turn the sensitivity way up you get lots of clutter, just from the tiny particles in the water.<br /><br />Something suspended under a stationary boat will draw a line across the screen, just because it keeps lighting up the same pixel.<br /><br />Your Cuda has 128 vertical pixels, so if the screen is scaled at 10 feet, each pixel represents about an inch of the water column (120 inches ÷ 128 pixels); at 30 feet it's closer to 3 inches. For the 480 the figures are 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch. Resolution is the most important feature, IMHO.<br /><br />If you're bass fishing shallow water, you won't really be looking to the screen to show you the fish you're after, the boat'll spook 'em and besides you're casting out away from the boat. But it will show hard or soft bottom, contours, hydrilla, stumps, you know, habitat. <br /><br />If you're fishing deeper water you can find the fish you're going to catch, and the prey they're feeding on...sometimes see your bait on the screen & use it to set your depth. In this kind of fishing remember to look at the screen when you hook a fish...it's a picture of your pattern for the day, depth, structure, whatever.<br /><br />I did pretty good with the basic unit...eventually you'll want to upgrade - you'll really appreciate the better resolution.

JamesFrith

Cadet

Hey<br /><br />Thanks alot. I am going to print this out and study it. What you said about thinking the screen is showing whats under the boat is exactly what I have been doing. Also, that link to Eagle is outstanding. <br /><br />Thanks

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, check your manual out for the fish finder and see if the machine has a tutorial. Good way to increase your proficiency at home on days you can't get out and fish. Also, you might check out local fishing clubs - probably most have speakers at their meetings, plus question and answer sessions that can get you up to speed a little faster than doing it all on your own.<br />Do a "google on Washington Lake fishing reports" and you'll get some good infor. Good luck to you.

JamesFrith

Cadet

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I grew up in South Alabama and N Florida....All we had to do was toss a line in the water and something would bite. Up here in WA, the fishing seems alot more complicated. Of course back then, my dad did all the work of finding the fishing holes so maybe it was complicated then too.