tiny tach and clones on outboards

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: tiny tach and clones on outboards

If you are only going to use it for diagnostic purposes, I suggest a laser tach. Just point it at the flywheel. Now that I suggested it, I'd better go get one for myself. I haven't tried one yet. But it sure sounds like the way to go. It should work on virtually anything that rotates.

Just as a point of interest, I was told by one vendor of laser tachs, that they don't work on flywheels that have no teeth in them. I suppose that could vary from brand to brand, but it might be worth looking into.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Have any of you used the 'tiny tach' or one of the clones on your outboard? I'm considering getting one to put on my pull-start tohatsu 40hp to see how it's running in regard to rpm's at wot. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with accuracy and longevity.

I understand it is only 'water resistant' so will need to be mounted as dry as possible.

I've used them on outboards, lawn mowers and generators. They worked well on all of them.

My boat application was a pair of 1958 Evinrude Bigtwins. I used a pair and had them mounted to the dash of the boat, in the elements. They are sealed units and were rained on frequently - never had a bit of problem with them. They are now about 7 years old and they still work.

The only factor that I can think of, is that Tiny Tach recommend that you have them lengthen the leads, if the stock length is insufficient. Regardless, I lengthened mine myself, using solid core, smal gauge wire. I also used quick disconnects under the hood, so I wouldn't have to unfasten to leads from the motor. All of this seemed not to affect the units either.

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class

how do you keep the wire wrapped around the spark plug wire. does anyone use a clip of sort?????

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been using one the last few outings. It is great to be able to see rpm. In my 15ft. Feathercraft Vagabond the tach is easily viewable from the captains seat. So far my high rpm is 4,350 with two people in the boat at full throttle. The 1957 Johnson is rated at 4,500 so I must be in the ball park as for being propped correctly. Feedback welcome on that point! Yes, it is held in place away from the motor with plastic coated solid core wire. I've looking for a more shock absorbing mounting material and will be making a change.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tach on 35 Johnson.jpg
    Tach on 35 Johnson.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have used 2 tiny tachs. first one was on my 9.8 tohatsu 4 stroke. easy to install. second is on my 30 hp efi tohatsu. both worked fine. the newer one has resetable hours and total hours. both were velcroed below the motor on the transom. main reason for purchase was to keep track of engine hours for maint. once u get the prop and trim dialed in the tach feature is justa look andcheck thing . only drawback with my install is it is hard to see in daylite without bending down . that could be remedied with a different install. overall worth every penny for someone as anal as me about maint. any questions ask away

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A excellent alternative is a Hardline hour/tach. Bit smaller than TT, can be secured in front panel of the Tohatsu 40. Has only one cable to wrap around spark plug cable, doesn't need a ground. The red pick up wire of the TT which is solid, breaks with engine vibration, Hardline's doesnt and it's water proof. If going for the Hardline model order the programmable one, code has a 2 ending.-

Happy Boating