Tiny Bubbles in Paint

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting tiny bubbles in the paint finish, not alot, but enought to feel. I am brushing BLP Jack Tar on Interlux Pre Kote Primer and am about on the 5th coat of Jack Tar Top Coat. I am not shaking the paint can and I am using Penetrol to thin the paint. Can anyone help me out. Thanks!!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Tiny Bubbles in Paint

Don't try to brush the paint out, flow it on the more you brush the more the pint the more bubbles, try heating thr paint in a can of hot water to 140 degrees at less thats where I like it for spraying we heat it to 185 to 195 to get it to lay out--Bob

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use THIN coats. Use a short-nap foam roller. And I mean short! Roll the paint out first very very thinly, then tip off the paint with a foam brush, very lightly, barely touching the surface. This gets rid of the bubbles. Tip off the paint in different directions on each coat.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think I can just use a regular brush? Laddies can you kinda clarify what your trying to say? Thanks

Laddies

Banned

The more you move paint around with a brush the more bubbles you make, if you don't use enough paint were it flows out, you need to brush more that causes problems, don't try to thin marine paint as effects it's ability to cover and will cause the paint to dull quickly in the sun. By heating the paint it lessens the vicosity and lets it flow out better. warm paint on a cool surface will lay like glass. Test some on a differant surface before using it on your boat---Bob