Tinkerer's laws of parts acquisition for old motors

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As a result of some past and especially an unfortunate series of very recent events, I am able to propound these laws. Others may be able to add to them.<br /><br />1. The further you travel to get the part you desperately need the less likely it is that it will be the right one.<br /><br />2. Trying to avoid Law 1 by telephoning first to make sure they have the right part will only result in you travelling even further to experience even greater disappointment and anger.<br /><br />3. The more the parts clown on the other end of the phone assures you that he doesn't have the part number you've quoted from the manufacturer's original parts catalogue but that the part number he's quoting from something else that definitely supersedes it is correct, the more likely it is that he's wrong.<br /><br />4. The more the parts clown on the other end of the phone assures you that although he can't find the part you're talking about in his exploded diagram but that the one he has will do the job, the more likely it is that (a) he doesn't understand what you're talking about, and /or (b) he doesn't understand what he's talking about and / or (c) he's looking at the wrong diagram, and / or (d) the only diagram he's looking at is the sheila in the bikini on a calendar.<br /><br />5. When you describe specific aspects of the part and he assures you that the one is his hand is the same, (a) it won't be when you get there, and / or (b) the only part he had in his hand when he was talking to you was inspired by the half-naked sheila he was looking at on the calendar and as far as he's concerned that will fit anything.<br /><br />6. When two or more of the preceding laws occur on the same part, don't bother leaving home because when you get there it won't be the right part. <br /><br />7. If you don't take your sample part, a digital vernier caliper, full set of micrometers, telescopic gauges, dial gauge, full electrical testing set, fume cabinet, X-ray machine and a full destruction testing kit to compare the parts at the parts place you will always find when you get home that the part you've got is RT 569/07089-7 not RT 569/07089/7. The difference is that the flugenwall ridge on the beepenfak shaft is 3 degrees to the left of anything that could possibly fit your motor. Everybody knows that / is only for the **A** series motors not the **A* one you have that takes -.<br /><br />8. You will never get an apology for relying on the parts clown's assurances after you gave very specific details about the part he doesn't have now but assured you he had an hour and half ago before you left home to burn up half a tank of gas crossing the city in 90 degree heat. Instead of apologising the parts clown will disappear and send out a grown up to deal with you while he skulks at the back of the shop, the useless little pr*ck. The grown up will express amazement that anybody is still running one of these antiques and will not very subtly imply that it's all your fault for wasting their time looking for it when everybody knows it's been an unlisted part since 1983. <br /><br />8. When you point out that you wouldn't be there if the parts clown hadn't assured you on the phone that he had the part, and that you're not real happy about the long hot trip to no purpose, the grown up will get all shirty like it's unfair to blame them and you should have been clearer in your description of the part. <br /><br />9. Buying a part from a wrecker has much the same risks, plus the joy of bringing it home and testing it and finding out it's a dud after you were so careful to get assurances that they test them before selling them. So now you can waste another couple of hours and another half tank of gas going back to argue with them about whether, say, a temperature sender for a warning horn is defective because it won't close a circuit when left in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tinkerer's laws of parts acquisition for old motors

Souds like parts are alike regardless of what country we are in.<br /><br />Bob

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

10. If the parts clown doesn't have the part you need but assures you he can order it, it will take him a minimum of 3 ordering attempts over many days to finally get the correct one.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

And it's not jus' boats.<br /><br />Try Snowmachines, ATV's, etc.<br /><br />Know the pain, been there.<br /><br />AK Chappy

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yep the Murphy Law of Parts.<br /><br />If it is the right part, its defective<br /><br />If it is the right box, its boxed wrong<br /><br />Its in the computer, but not on the shelf<br /><br />Obsolete part requiring retro fit kit, new part available but without any retro fit kits available<br /><br />The part is available until you go to purchase it. You then find out the guy before you just bought the last one. This is especially true if you just travelled along ways to get it.<br /><br />My favorite thing to do on returns is to pack the stuff back into the box using packing materials from the trash can :p It sames me a trip to the dumpster.. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I thought it was just me. Except for one case,straight outta "the Twiglight Zone"<br /><br />True story:<br />I recently ordered two fuel pump kits for a 1965 era 65HP merc. There was only one place online (that i could find,anyhow), that carried these kits. I oredered them, and they came a week later than prommised, no shock there....But a short note was scribed in the margin of the invoice that reads as follows;<br />"The kit number you requested do not fit the motor you have. Here are the correct kits. Please notify if these are not the ones you originally wanted."<br /><br /><br />The 'parts clown' was correct! The parts he shipped were the right ones!<br />What are the odds here? :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

12footer, I shipped you those kits. :) <br /><br />Tinkerer, you are on to my tricks.

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let's raise a toaste to the parts guy that got it right!

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> Yep the Murphy Law of Parts.<br /><br />If it is the right part, its defective<br /><br />If it is the right box, its boxed wrong<br /><br />Its in the computer, but not on the shelf<br /><br />Obsolete part requiring retro fit kit, new part available but without any retro fit kits available<br /><br />
Part illustrated in diagram but no number in diagram and not listed in parts catalogue.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Ive had about 25 years in parts sales.<br />I have met some shockers on the other side of the counter at times when I have neede parts for myself.<br />For instance, I bent a pushrod on my V/P engine and the parts jock just looked at me and asked what it was and where is it used on the motor!!!<br />I even had to teach him how to use his CD-Rom parts catalog. GRRRRRR.<br />Thats why I want parts catalogs for everything I have if possible.<br /><br />Peter

KaGee

Admiral

One Auto parts chain around here used to run a commercial that had some bubba who said.... "Parts is parts"

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I look at it this way. On your way to get the part you need, you stop and get some fast food. If you get your order right there, just maybe your part at the auto parts house will be the right one.<br /><br />Tinkerer, your are exactly right about the illistrated parts. I need two exhaust clamps for hooking up my turbo to my diesel. Ford shows them in two different locations in their computer, neither location gives the part numbers. :confused: What really urks me is that he wouldn't even try to look any more for me.<br /><br />SO now I have this turbo that I have had for about a year, everything I need except for those two stinking parts. I have even taken my problem to the Ford Truck website and they also are clueless on where to get the parts.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. Every body wants cheap parts. You can't hire rocket scientists and still sell cheap parts.

dolluper

Captain

Always had good supplers for my parts at the shop and they delivered , but saying that they were training a newbie one day , I ordered a camshaft for 305 Chevy [standard] and recieved a distribator shaft instead so the owner drove over the camshaft with pie on his face ,my suggestion is call for the part get the jockey's name if it's the right part when you arrive always ask for that jockey when ordering ALWAYS get the name owners are always interested in good customer relations

fixin

Fixins law:<br />If all is well and you get the part you need---it's not what's wrong with the motor.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I've just about quit going to Auto Zone because of the parts counter. Seems those guys don't know theres a differance between a standard 3.0 and a DOCH 3.0. Made several wasted trips.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. Every body wants cheap parts. You can't hire rocket scientists and still sell cheap parts.
True, but in the cases that inspired this thread they were all new parts at regular retail prices from a major marine supplier, apart from one second hand bit that couldn't be supplied new.<br /><br />I think the problem with older motors is that they're older than the parts clowns; they don't have proper references for a lot of them or don't understand them; and if it's too hard to find they don't put proper effort into working it out. <br /><br />You get somebody like Joe Reeves who knows them inside out and he knows what you need and you'll get the right part every time.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> Tinkerer, your are exactly right about the illistrated parts. I need two exhaust clamps for hooking up my turbo to my diesel. Ford shows them in two different locations in their computer, neither location gives the part numbers.
Must be a Ford specialty as it's happened to me a few times over the years and I don't buy many parts as they're only for the family car.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember some years ago needing a magneto brush for a 1949 Norton ES2 I had. Thinking that the part would be unobtainable I decided to modify a distributor cap brush. I went to the Auto electricians shop and told him what I wanted to do. He squinted his eyes and humming to himself moved his finger along as he was looking at the top shelf. 'Ah, here it is ' standing on a step ladder he reached up and took a dusty little cardboard box down and with a grin said 'here you are'. The original part in a 1949 style little cardboard box! And at a price not too far from the original.<br /><br />Miracles do happen occasionally.