Timing on Merc 850 distributorless OB??

chrisross

Cadet
I just rebuilt my Merc 1977 850 distributorless or ADI motor. I'm trying to set the timing according to the Clymer's manual but am a bit confused. The flywheel has a sticker with TDC and degrees going in both directions. Do I put the top piston at TDC then line up the plastic pointer with TDC? If so why does Clymer's say to find TDC, rotate Flywheel counterclockwise till the pison goes into the cylinder .464 inchs, then set the pointer at the .464 mark on the timing decal. Isn't this the same as setting the pointer even with the TDC mark on the sticker? My sticker doesn't have a .464 mark on it however at that point there appears to be a small indentation in the metal flywheel. Can anyone help me make sense of this?????????? Any other tips for setting the timing would be great!!!<br />Thanks,<br />Chris

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Timing on Merc 850 distributorless OB??

Hi Chris,<br />Use the mark in the metal. A dial indicator<br />is needed to do it right but they are costly.<br />They use the .464 because it is much more accurate to set it up with. So set pointer<br />at .464. I hope the mark is a round centerpunch mark and not a square one as the <br />square is not right.<br />post back if you need more help.<br />corm
biggrin.gif