Timing Cam for 1955 Johnson QD-16

OMCfan

Seaman
I am in the process of doing my first ignition overhaul on a Johnson QD-16 that I bought ( I have never done this before) and have a question about the cam. I noticed after pulling the flywheel that the cam was riding high and not even in contact with the points. After removing the magneto plate found that the cam sits upon a thin bronze washer which in turn rests on a spring. It seems that the spring is pushing the cam up to high and that the cam freely moves up and down the crank shaft. I am not sure if this is a common finding and what the correct solution is as there really is not anything I can see to hold the cam down. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The flywheel holds it down. When you install the flywheel, make sure the cam is rotated in a position where it will not bang into the points arm as it gets pushed down. FYI, that whole spring assembly thing is the upper crankshaft seal.

Also, you can set the points gap through the hole in the flywheel or you can fabricate a cam holder-downer. I made myself one from a piece of conduit.

OMCfan

Seaman
Thank you both for your help! I took the time to look at the inside of the flywheel and realized (duh) that it was what held the cam down and F_R you just answered my next question so I will follow your advise when I go to put the flywheel back on.

lindy46

Captain
If the rub block on the points doesn't clear the cam when pushing it down into place, you can put a small piece of spacing material, like cardboard between the points so the rub block clears. Then once the flywheel is back on, remove the spacer(s) through the inspection port.

OMCfan

Seaman
Thanks for the tip lindy46 I will give that a try! This outboard looked like a average used vintage outboard when I first looked at it it but when I opened the hood...she looked like a new motor inside. Very clean and all the original factory paint is there and in as new condition. I can't wait to get it up and running!!!