Timing advancement arm...

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 Rude 70horse... Arm doesn't fall back to 'idle' setting. Has to be moved back manually... whats the deal??? Is there an adjustment to correct this???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Timing advancement arm...

what are you calling the advancement arm. link N sinc.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It probably just need's to be cleaned , and relubed.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good morning!!! Yes I believe so tashasdaddy... part that is controled by the throttle cable that moves under the flywheel as it opens up carbs... [hard to explain] Hope it makes sense to you...

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spray everything down with WD40 every so often... is that sufishent???

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like either a sticking timer base or rather a link-n-sync is in order. I'd probably guess the later since you can manualy push it back into possition. Mr. Johnson should be able to give you the low down in that area. He sure helped me a bunch with the link and sync on my '79 140. It's not really a hard process and it only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. My guess would be that the timing procedure is the same, but rather than steer you wrong, I'll leave the explanation of the process to the experts. Good luck............ ALAN

BTW....... A dab of grease goes a long way. WD40 tends to accumulate dust particles over time, collecting dust and becoming less and less effective over time in terms of lubrication, and might be more of a short term fix and a long term headache. This is why I'd recommend greasing instead. Good luck.