timer pointer, piston stop, excessive play?

WestPoint

Seaman
1986 Evinrude 90HP v4 crossflow

OEM manual says to set pointer, rotate flywheel cw about 1-1/2 in. past TDC mark, insert piston stop in #1, hold flywheel so cylinder is against stop, and mark spot. My question is, how much pressure should I use to hold flywheel against stop before marking location? I noticed if I put alot of pressure on flywheel in ccw direction, I can get it to move an additional 1/2 tooth.

Manual then says to continue rotating flywleel in cw direction until you feel piston contact stop again, and mark 2nd spot. When doing this, I noticed putting additional pressure on flywheel does not result in any more movement.

I've read somewhere that you should check for excessive play using a piston stop. What is considered excessive for this engine, and in which direction should I be checking it, given that when going cw I get no play, but going ccw I get 1/2 tooth play?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: timer pointer, piston stop, excessive play?

You bring the piston up to the stop tool, and that is it. You don't use any force at all.

WestPoint

Seaman

Got it- thanks. But what about checking for excessive play. On some forum, may have been this one, the poster said to hold flywheel and with a screw driver or other tool, push against piston and check for play. They said there should be hardly any. Can one use a piston stop instead, and try moving flywheel to check for play?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That test is for worn wrist pins', or bearings', not likely on your engine. You don't use a stop tool for that test.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The piston stop tool and method is simple a very quick and accurate means of setting TDC.

Pistons are designed and constructed to push against AIR, not steel.

Forceably attempting to turn the motor against a piston stop is a good way to ensure that you WILL BE taking that engine apart to replace the damaged piston.