Time ?

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today starts the first day of building the pontoon where were sliding in the boards and installing the floor. I've got every family member and friend asking me when this pontoon is going to get done and I guess my question for all of you is how long "time span" did it take you to get your boat complete. I'm talking from the boards to mounting the steering wheel. I'm hoping to be done by Summer but the more and more I think about it the more things need to be done. It's making my brain hurt at times.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Time ?

Can't say I've been in your shoes as far as what you're doing, so I can't give you a time span, but if I may make some suggestions...

#1 Don't let your friends and family push you to rush through the project. Take your time! There's a difference between procrastination, and taking your time to get the project done RIGHT!

#2 Make a list of all the things you need to get done.
This can be on a big black board, a dry erase board, a couple of poster boards, or even a notebook. Prioritize the list based on both the importance of the task, and when in the course of the project it needs to be done. Doing this will allow you to peck away at the project with out getting over-whelmed. If you try to "look at the big picture", you may get discouraged, and/or your head may start to hurt like it is now... ;)

#3 If you are having problems with something in the project... take a break! Collect your thoughts, relax a bit, maybe even jump on iBoats and run you problem by your Buddy's here. Chances are someone's been there, done that, and can help you.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have, tell them it depends on how much they help out. :D nothing like putting them right back on the spot for labor, or free beer.

Do the work in stages, plan some thing out and complete it, that way the job dosnt seam as huge. Mine was over a 1 1/2 with breaks for fishing in between. All total around 3 mouths but I had to do it as money and weather allowed.

Once you get the flooring on it speeds up. Then the fence. then furniture placement, then the helm then wiring, then motor testing and its time to go fishing.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You probably don't want me to answer this. :D

Tell them as long as it takes.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha well started yesterday and ran into our first problem of the day. I never really noticed it before seeing as every company sold re-decking kits with 6 sheets of 8x4 pieces of plywood. Well of course another great thought of "Lowe" had to have their very front piece on the boat 8x5. It's almost impossible to find an 8x5 piece of plywood in the USA so i'm having to buy another sheet and cut it so that we have 2 pieces that are 4x5's so we can get it to fit right. I agree with everyone though on I have to make stages and so once the floor gets on then carpet will be next week or this weekend. Then railing and so on and so forth. I'm hoping to get it all done by June but with my line of work it might be difficult with farming come planting season this spring. Oh well even though i'm having issues now i'm still having fun doing it. That's the main thing, right?

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

take your time and dont rush, if June comes and it is not quite done, there is always July and so forth.
one step at a time,
good luck

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I think you will find its not any where as bad as you think it will be. I have completely rebuilt one in a weekend, But had 4 guys working on it and ever thing was on hand.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking foward to seeing some progress pictures

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Def. going to have some pictures up hopefully in a couple weeks. The floor is coming along pretty well and I guess my only question in the short run is is there anything I should do before I start to put my glue down and lay my carpet on? I was wondering if you cut the outline out and then glue it down or just glue the carpet down and then cut the carpet? Or if it even matters.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glue it down first, then cut it. Not only does it give you a cutting guide you can't mess up, it allows for a little forgiveness and you don't have to line it up perfectly.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Wood first then put the carpet on the deck and make sure it is where it needs to be then fold it back and glue half the boat at a time but first double triple check to make sure all your deck bolts/screws are tight and there are enough of them, once you set the carpet the only way to do anything more to the deck is to pull the carpet.

Your deck is a major stressed structural part of the boat and it takes a tremendous amount of force when the boat is running so make sure you have plenty of screws/bolts in the wood.

Once you have it on and glued just run around the edge with a stanley knife, you might want to check your joints before you set carpet too and make sure they are nice and flush.

Once the carpet is down set whatever you are doing next, furniture/rails ect on the deck and make sure you have your spacings and everything clear before you start screwing stuff down.

If you are having fun it will go well, if you start trying to "get it done" that is when you run into problems, it is done when it is done and not a second earlier.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The last time I rebuilt my pontoon, I only had to replace plywood on the back end. My repairs only lasted 8 years, as I was too frugal to invest in marine plywood. The rest of my marine plywood is perfectly good after 27 years' use (1985 model).

Major cities have plywood stores that carry off standard sizes of marine plywood, including 10' lengths.

I would suggest pulling up the plywood one sheet at a time and installing the new plywood one sheet at a time. In other words, don't pull up all the plywood and installing the new plywood then. You want to maintain the structural integrity of the boat.

The hardest thing about rebuilding a toon is all the crawling around under the boat tightening the nylon locking stainless steel bolts holding down the fencing. Those new ratcheting closed end wrenches would be great for this--and someone above turning the bolts at the same time. Crawling produces pain the next day.

My biggest mistake was not renting a 100 lb. vinyl floor roller. If you don't roll the carpet as soon as it's installed, you'll have bubbles in the carpet come up. And you don't need to install the carpet until a warm day--so the carpet can expand with heat. There's no substitution for perfect conditions.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i'm going to be doing the carpet in a heated shop where it stays around 55* degrees. The roller i definately had planned on so that shouldn't be an issue. How do you replace 1 piece of board on a pontoon? I cant imagine the carpet being easy to re-glue down on just one board after being tore off the old piece.