Time for Riser & Manifold > VP or Barr?

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
you mean on the Manifold or Riser? thx...
On all the gaskets. Put a little on with your finger. You want it "wet" with the Permatex Black but not enough so much if any squeezes out when you tighten things.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
On all the gaskets. Put a little on with your finger. You want it "wet" with the Permatex Black but not enough so much if any squeezes out when you tighten things.
For the Riser, I was planning on using the Permatex Aviation (80019) material recommended by others, but the dynamic of putting on the risers mentioned above precluded that.

For the Manifold, back in the 70s, when I was first learning to rebuild engines, I understood that putting gasket sealer on the exhaust manifold gasket was a no no. It would burn off or otherwise damage the gasket and cause a leak is what I recall being told. Material science has come a long way since then but that would have not occurred to me to use it on the manifold.
Have you had successes with using it on the Exhaust Manifold?

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
It seems now Permatex Ultra Copper is good for the high temp of exhaust manifolds. I know I used Permatex Black but it was maybe a decade ago and it could have been only between the exhaust manifold and riser.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Concluding this post: got the boat in the water and all was good. Ran about 5 degrees cooler per the dash gauge. No leaks, exhaust or otherwise. Very happy with the results and the Barr product!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have an IR temp gun I leave on the boat just for that. I’m on season 5 on my OMC/Volvo Barr exhaust and they are still running nice and cool.