tilt up and down issues.Clicking noise Help!?

ponyyboyy

Cadet
Hey Guys
I have a problem that is proving to be quite frustrating. I have a 85 conroy x19 (glastron) with a chevy 350 and a omc stern. The stern drive started acting up where it wouldnt go up and down. It eventually would work on and off again, then started to stutter and now will not work at all.

It has two solenoids, one which runs the tilt up, the other down. The solenoids are making a clicking noise when the switch is operated up or down. I have tested the volts to the solenoids and the voltage coming out of the solenoids, both are at 12v. I don't know how to test the voltage to the tilt motor since it is a sealed unit, but I assume it is receiving 12v since that is the outage coming out of the solenoids.

I have taken the motor out and the motor is operating both clock and counterclockwise like it should be depending if its moving up or down. I have taken the clutch pack out, looks good except for some sludgy oil but still nothing. Any help on this frustrating issue will be helpful guys, Thank you in advance. PONNYBOYY

dishwillow

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt up and down issues.Clicking noise Help!?

have you checked your tilt/trim switch? i've had this problem in the before and it was a bad switch.

ponyyboyy

Cadet

Well the switch is putting out the 12v to the solenoids, it's just making a clicking noise from the solenoids. The trim is a different switch, connected to another two solenoids and it is working. I've also checked the fuses. Maybe the motor is turning but needs to be tested under stress? Just because it turns maybe its not turning when it has a load?

Capt Jimbo

Cadet

I was resently in this same boat. If your trim pump/motor is like mine, there is hardly any "load" on the motor. I was able to turn the pump with no effort when I had the motor removed by putting a screwdriver where the motor shaft goes. I then tested the pump by putting a flat head bit in my cordless drill and was able to raise and lower my stern drive.

My trouble was the motor shaft was frozen to the motor bushing. I was able to free the bushing by heating the brass bushing with a propane torch. My other problem was one of the solenoids. I found that just because it clicks doesn't mean it is good. I wasn't getting 12V on the motor side.

One other thing, if you have dirty/corroded connections you might get 12V at the bolt coming out of the solenoid and not have the voltage at the wire connected to the bolt. I found a couple of my connections loose where I could turn the nut with my finger and most of my contacts were dirty.

Good luck

ponyyboyy

Cadet

Ive checked the wiring out because i've had problems in autos before where the car would click but not turn over and it always seemed to be a solenoid or wire.. In this case the solenoid is putting out the 12v ( tested from the wire, not the bolt) on its way to the motor. It is also receiving the 12v to the solenoid, so that all looks good. Ive taken the motor out and its turning the shaft both ways, so it is getting power, it will just not lift the drive. I've been told to test this with a torque wrench, that it needs to test out at 27lbs.
Does any one have any other info that would be helpful about the clutch pack or the worm gear? Thanks for the replies.

c03camson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just had kinda the same problem.. my trim would go up but not down. did some troubleshooting and it was a bad solenoid. When I hit the switch to go down all it would do is click but nothing would happen. Maybe both of your solenoids went out. I dont know how hot it is where you are but apparently the solenoids going bad is quite frequent in hot weather.

ponyyboyy

Cadet

My instinct is to just replace the solenoid also, but it seems to me now that I have the motor out and it runs freely both ways when the switch is pushed then it would seem that the solenoid is obviously working and it would probably be just a waste of money. This problem is proving to be quite frustrating

ponyyboyy

Cadet

Thanx for the link. I've been using the selco manual since I have it at home, and every thing has been checking out with the voltage like they say, that's what makes me think maybe the clutch pack or worm gear. They're sections on that aren't very clear or pictures very detailed I should say. Thx again though.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried jumping the solenoid to try to eliminate them as the source of the problem?

superbenk

Commander

Sounds like bad solenoids to me too. I had to replace all 4 of mine before things worked right. They looked ok, but they only clicked. Replacing them instantly solved that problem. Also make sure your battery is fully charged. A weak battery can also do that.

dishwillow

Seaman Apprentice

any update on your problem? get it fixed?

took mine out last night and had the same problem.

ponyyboyy

Cadet

No, no updates.
I just was going to log on today to ask for more help. I think I'm going to test the motor with a torque wrench since I'm told it should test out at 27lbs of torque. How can I do this? I would need a fitting on the end of a torque wrench like a flat head screw driver since the shaft in the motor is slotted. Is this something that I can buy?
I know people are saying the solenoids, which were my first thought also, but it seems impossible to me that the solenoids would be bad if the juice is coming out of them at 12v and the motor is moving.
Any help more help out there? Thanks guys,
Ponyyboyy

superbenk

Commander

No, no updates.
I just was going to log on today to ask for more help. I think I'm going to test the motor with a torque wrench since I'm told it should test out at 27lbs of torque. How can I do this? I would need a fitting on the end of a torque wrench like a flat head screw driver since the shaft in the motor is slotted. Is this something that I can buy?
I know people are saying the solenoids, which were my first thought also, but it seems impossible to me that the solenoids would be bad if the juice is coming out of them at 12v and the motor is moving.
Any help more help out there? Thanks guys,
Ponyyboyy

That torque wrench setup seems kind of crazy. Good luck with that - I won't comment on that one.

As for the solenoids. You might be getting the proper voltage, but the amperage might be too weak. Did you try shorting across the solenoid to see if it'd work? If it does, you have a bad solenoid.

ponyyboyy

Cadet

With out sounding like the total newb that I am ( oh well ), what do I need to do in order to short cut and bypass the solenoids in order to test this out?

superbenk

Commander

Short the positive pole (battery red) to the small pole at the bottom.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just one quick comment/question. I have installed 2 brand new solenoids in my trim assembly. They function when you short across them, why would shorting across them mean a solenoid is bad????

-BAproject

ponyyboyy

Cadet

Ok, if I'm understanding right I'm just shorting and connecting the two terminals, the positive read and the smaller one on the bottom? I think I understand, I used to do this to start a car if the solenoid went bad or I needed to crank the engine. Is this the same as bypassing the solenoid or do I need to do something else in order for that? Thanks for the help -
Ponyy

superbenk

Commander

They will all work just fine when you short across them, new or old. If they're old, they get corroded or burned inside causing poor conductivity & thus less power going to your motor that it needs.

I'm not guaranteeing this is your problem, it's just a super simple thing to test. If you short & still don't get movement, you know the problem is likely somewhere else. Takes 10 seconds to perform my test.

superbenk

Commander

Ok, if I'm understanding right I'm just shorting and connecting the two terminals, the positive read and the smaller one on the bottom? I think I understand, I used to do this to start a car if the solenoid went bad or I needed to crank the engine. Is this the same as bypassing the solenoid or do I need to do something else in order for that? Thanks for the help -
Ponyy

Same idea. Be ready for a spark & something to happen :)