Tilt/Trim won't work. Boat is stuck in my driveway. Help!

Mikecaldo

Cadet
Hello All:
Long story short, my tilt/trim quit working. It sort of seemed to fade out and slow down when I was raising the outdrive after I changed the gear oil. Now it won't budge. I'm trying like crazy to trouble shoot, but I just don;t have the knowledge. Please help!
Here's what i know:
-volvo penta 5.0 GL
-SX M outdrive.
-Pump is a V/P 3860879.
-fluid levels are good.
-Batteries are charged
-I pulled out the relays to check for corrosion, etc. they look clean to me.
-Fuses in the dash and on the pump are intact
-When I try to trim up or down I hear a click come from the relays, but the pump won't start. My assumption is that since I can hear the relays when I hit the trim switch that there must be something wrong with the pump. Any suggestions on trouble shooting or alternate theories?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

did you mash the drive up against the stop and leave it there? if so, you will need someone to jump up and down on the drive while you lower it.

Bondo

Staff member
When I try to trim up or down I hear a click come from the relays, but the pump won't start.

Ayuh,..... Jumper power directly to the pump motor, 'n see if it'll run,.....

Blue sky up, green grass down,.....

Mikecaldo

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Jumper power directly to the pump motor, 'n see if it'll run,.....

Blue sky up, green grass down,.....

Ok. I'll give this a shot. Dumb question, but I cant find a ground on this thing. Can i just ground it to the engine or should there be a ground wire i would use. or will it matter?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Not sure how Volvo does it, but Merc trim pumps have a big red power wire hooked to the battery, or the battery lug on the starter's solenoid,.....
'n a big black wire from the pump housin' to the battery's (-) post, or to the ground lug on the block/ flywheel cover,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volvo powers the trim off the big battery lug at the starter, and the other ground cable goes to the grounding stud on the back of the bell-housing.

Mikecaldo

Cadet
ok so humor me here.... there's no sense being dumb if im not going to show it i guess...... i will jumper from the positive terminal on my batter directly to either the green or blue wire (up or down). do I need to attach a ground then, or just touching the positive and waiting for something to happen since the pump is grounded already. OR, is the pump grounded at the relays or someplace else. Do i need to ground it in addition to jumping the positive cable?

Mikecaldo

Cadet
problem solved. neighbor came over and tapped the motor with a hammer while i pressed the trim button. motor struggled but we got the drive up. new motor was only 70 bucks so a win as far as i'm concerned. Thanks again for your help. appreciate it!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is surprising what can be fixed and/or adjusted with a Hammer. Explains why there are so many different hammers

Mikecaldo

Cadet
The plot thickens...
I ordered a new trim motor online from DB Electrical. It arrived today, but the mounting bolts are slightly too close together.... probably a millimeter or two... Just enough to be able to keep from screwing it down to the pump. So of course they'll let me return it, but I don't want to keep running on this hamster wheel.

The number for the entire pump assembly is Volvo Penta 3860879. I can find the entire pump assembly online for $250 bucks or so, but I'd rather just replace the motor... cheaper and easier. For some reason, I can't find an aftermarket motor that cross references to that number. I can find a few that say "all volvo penta models", but that's what got me into this mess to begin with.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a website or retailer to look at? Worst case I'll buy the whole pump assembly, but that sounds like more effort than I want to put forth!

Thanks a million.
Mike