Tilt Trim unit won't come out

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1996 Evinrude 112spi. I'm trying to remove the tilt trim motor and I feel like I've taken out all the bolts and pins holding in the entire tilt trim unit, but it won't come out. On each side, there are 3 bolts (9/16 head). I took all 6 out and I removed the pin that goes through the top ram. I can wiggle the entire unit and it is loose, but it won't lean forward enough for me to get to the back screw for the tilt/trim motor and the entire unit will not come out. Am I missing something?

I can try to get a video of it.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On my model year, is there another pivot pin besides the large one that goes through the top ram? Maybe one that is somewhere in between the 9/16" bolts? I've seen other models that have a large pin on the bottom, I thought that mine only had the 6 bolts

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I don't remember any bolts. Pin at the top of the ram and a pin at the bottom of the assembly. Here is a video. This guy says some of them won't come out without moving part of the tilt/bracket assembly. He does take out the reservoir to give him more clearance. Enjoy.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That one is different than mine. I don't have that large pin at the bottom (looks like it is the same width as the top pin). And his doesn't have the 6 bolts with the 9/16 head. But thank you! My tilt/trim motor has 3 screws too.. his has 4

saltchuckmatt

Commander
That one is different than mine. I don't have that large pin at the bottom (looks like it is the same width as the top pin). And his doesn't have the 6 bolts with the 9/16 head. But thank you! My tilt/trim motor has 3 screws too.. his has 4
I guess I don't know that outboard. 112? I see now on your parts breakdown. One thing that other did was open the relief valve. Did you do that? That will make it so you can lower the ram creating more room.

I've done a couple and usually it salt damage but they don't wiggle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220731-183227.png
    Screenshot_20220731-183227.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 6

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was worried that the relief valve was catching, so I took the entire thing out.. same result.. What is item # 56 in the diagram? Is that maybe another pin that needs to come out?