Tilt / Trim Problem and Gear Lube Drain

xenus7850

Cadet
I have two seperate problems here and as you read through this I am new to boating, but learning fast, especially what B.O.A.T stands for, which seems to be very true (Break Out Another Thousand).

I have a 23.6 foot Rinker Captiva Cuddy with a Bravo 454 engine.

1st. issue is that once I take my prop all the way up for trailering and transport, about 1-2 days later the prop has come all the way down. I have checked the tilt / trim fluid and it was a bit low and was like a yellowish milkshake in color. I pumped all of the fluid out of the resevior and put new fluid in, but that did not correct the problem. I was told that there may be air in the line or water getting into the sytem. Any idea which one it would be? What would you suggest to try next? I thought about draining all the liqued, but now sure how to do that, unles I disconnect the hoses / lines that go into the back of the motor by the prop, where the hydrollics are at, but not sure if this will do it. If I do this though, will it fix the problem? If water is getting into the system, what is the most like culpret? I guess what I am asking is what does the yellow milkshake color usually indicate, if it is water what should I do and/or try.

the second issue is I was looking for the gear lube drain that I was told should be at the very bottom of the prop, but I do not seem to have one, there appears to be one at the top though. Is it possibkle to not have a drain at the bottom of the prop motor? How should I change it out if there is no drain plug/screw? It does have like a water bottle looking resevior full of gear lube in the engine area that I assume fills the outdrive when it needs it, but how do I drain all of it out with no bottem drain? I was told by a marina that it has to have one, but I have looked about 5 times now and there is nothing there!

Please help me if you can.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt / Trim Problem and Gear Lube Drain

you must have a bravo drive?take the prop off you will see the drain plug.as for the drive leak down. this could be one of the tilt cylinders that is leaking buy the piston seal inside. you can isolate this buy trimming the drive up then block it up.remove the lines at the pump and cap them off.then remove the blocks and see if it leaks down.if it don't then the problem is in your pump witch most likely has a manual release valve that you should check first.you will have to get creative at the hardware store to get the right brass fittings to cap off the lines.