Tilt/trim harness wiring?

billynjuls

Seaman Apprentice
I hope someone can help me with this. I have a 1978 Mariner 80 HP outboard. I need help with how the wiring harness that plugs into the tilt/trim motor hooks up to the other end. I have an aftermarket tilt/trim switch on my control box handle. It has two pushbuttons on it, which I assume are up/down. The wires that come off of it are black, green, and white. My harness has a 3 prong plug that plugs into my tilt/trim motor. The other end is where I am not sure how it connects. Coming off right behind the plug is a blue/white, green/white, and a larger gauge red wire. I assume the green/white and blue/white are my up/down wires since they are the same color that are on my tilt/trim motor. There is also a purple/white spliced onto the blue/white wire. Also, I have two wires that come off of my trim limit switch on one of my outboard tilt cylinders that I have no idea what it hooks up to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A schematic would be great, but I will take any advice. I have a Seloc manual, but they call mine a "A" system and there is only a schematic for "B" and "C" systems.<br /><br />Billy

Laddies

Banned
Re: Tilt/trim harness wiring?

With only 2 buttons the trim limit switch won't work it takes a 3 button system, so you will need a red power wire fused at the pump 20 amp. to go to both switchs and the blue wire is up to the pump and green is down

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Billy, You motor originally came with a three button control. It was wired such that when the motor was down, a trim limit switch was closed and you would push the center button to trim the motor. When it was trimmed all the way, the two top buttons pushed together, would activate the pump motor to "tilt" the motor the rest of the way up. You can use a two button control. On you three prong motor plug, one prong is up, one is down and one is power to the control. Just wire the two button control that way.

billynjuls

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for your help. Please bear with me as I am new at this. I pulled my switches off my control handle and this is how they were wired. The black wire went to both the up and down switch. The white wire was connected to the up switch, which I assume connects to the blue/white wire on my harness. The green wire was connected to the down switch, which I assume connects to the green/white wire on my harness. Would the black wire connect to the red wire on my harness. That's the only one left on my harness that wouldn't be connected. What seems strange though is that it's a little bigger gauge of wire than the other two. Any thoughts?<br /><br />Billy

billynjuls

Seaman Apprentice

Everything worked great. Thanks again for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.<br /><br />Billy