tilt trim arrival

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well I finally got my tilt trim motor, and found that the bloke when he pulled the valve body off has scored the sides of the reservoir causing it now to leak around the base of the reservoir. Could I just get away with a new seal or should I change out the reservoir part of the pump, as I have a spare reservoir??? Pain in the *** really as I just got it on the boat after taking those 3 bolts off and replacing the old reservoir and motor, only too find I should have swapped just the motor part not the reservoir to avoid the leak. Will a new rubber o-ring surfice and seal it you think?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: tilt trim arrival

I would try a new "O" ring seal first. If the damage is deep enough that it still won't seal, you might try applying some heavy duty epoxy and after it has cured hard, carefully file the damaged area(s) smooth. Clean up the affected areas with some acetone or something similar before applying the epoxy.

MickLovin

Thanks pnw, hard to know what a good epoxy is for this area, as it is oily and any epoxy finds it hard to stick, I will have to drain the oil fully out of it. Think it would be easier to use the other base as well, just to eliminate the damage.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you have the option of a different base, then that would be ideal.

Just for future reference, there is a product here in the U.S. which is a high temperature epoxy that is commonly used to repair non structural cracks in cast iron engine blocks. It's called JB Weld. I've used it to repair cylinder head water jacket cracks with great success. I'm sure there is a similar product down under.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There's also another product called PC-7 epoxy. Same stuff but more clay like and will not run like JB Weld will on vertical surfaces. Both are two part epoxies and available on-line.

MickLovin

Got onto some cold weld, cleaned the outside surfaces emptied oil and mixed and coated cold weld onto it, also I actually reseated it and took the o-ring out and cleaned some hard stuff of it. put it back together waited a few hours and put some clean hydraulic fluid in it NO LEAK WOOHOO, IT's boating and fishing time tomoz :cool:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Back in business! Good luck with the fishing!