Tilt and Trim won't work. 1988 Force 125

sandtrap

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
2
When I activate the trim switch I here a clicking noise in the engine but the motor doesn't move. If I hold the switch down long enough the breaker shuts off. After reseting I have the same problem. How do I go about localizing the problem? It sounds like a trim motor problem but I would like to know for sure before I start switching out parts.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Tilt and Trim won't work. 1988 Force 125

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />The relays can't overload a breaker. The load is at the trim motor. You might as well start there.
 

sandtrap

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
2
Re: Tilt and Trim won't work. 1988 Force 125

Ok but where do I start? Can I remove the wires and hook to a battery directly to see if it opperates? Do you have any disassembly tips? Can it be cleaned, repaired. I just don't know much about them any help would be appreciated.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Tilt and Trim won't work. 1988 Force 125

You'll need a factory manual. Aftermarket manuals don't cover PT/T worth a crap. What usually happens is water gets into the trim motor and shorts things out. It might just need a good cleaning, but you won't know until you get in there. Whenever working on a trim unit, make certain the motor is secured and can't tip down. People lose hands that way. :eek: <br /><br />The trim motor is mounted to the side of the motor, so access shouldn't be a problem. The end cap probably comes off with two long screws. You'll be able to remove the whole trim motor with those screws, or you can just lift the cap a bit to inspect the brushes. If it smells like smoked sausage inside, you'll want to replace the motor/reservior. They are available from Merc or Sierra.
 
Top