tilt and trim rebuild 2000 50hp Johnson

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick question about tilt and trim rebuild kits.
Five Star Marine has a rebuild kit listed that they say is modified with better seals than OEM. Have any of you had any experiance with these? Should I just stick with OEM?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
2nd that. OEM is always the best.

Buy them both and research the specifications and measure them all out.

Inexpensive education really.

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cheated as well only I think I used a set from amazon...really not sure because that is the only receipt that somehow didnt make it into my boat folder. Regardless, the unit worked fine for about two weeks... Now it blows fluid out of the top especially when lowering the motor. I guess I will go with OEM unless some of you guys come up with something of interest in the next few hours.

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OEM is on it's way. I will probably start another thread with a few questions concerning this. Hopwfully it will help others trying to rebuild one.
Thanks for your input!

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One question I will have before I start this process is filling it. After the rebuild should the fluid be added with the rod extended or retracted?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
One question I will have before I start this process is filling it. After the rebuild should the fluid be added with the rod extended or retracted?
Pretty sure what all the responses will be.

Always....and I say ALWAYS, follow the OEM service manual.

🥱😉😆🤣

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
bottom line.. fill it and keep cyciling up and down as you keep refilling to top it off . this will purge any air in the syst.

single ram T&T are used on some ETEC (like my 75)..from the manual :)
1713440998800.png

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
bottom line.. fill it and keep cyciling up and down as you keep refilling to top it off . this will purge any air in the syst.

single ram T&T are used on some ETEC (like my 75)..from the manual :)
View attachment 396957
This is the same type tilt that is on my 50 HP.
Now that I am thinking about it, the ram will have to be extended in order to get to the fill plug once it is installed on the motor. I guess the question should be, should I at least put some oil in it before I install it on the motor?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I would...wait!-----No, you better not because....yeah, go for ?

Pretty sure you thought out loud twice.

Have you tried talking to a mechanic at your local dealer? When I was young I would very carefully approach a mechanic and he would eventually tell me....( Bring donuts )

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Success! motor raises up and lowers down with ease and not a drop of leaking fluid.
1. I would strongly suggest anyone attempting to do this to use OEM parts. All I gained was experiance disassembling and reassembling the unit by using cheap parts.
2. Answering my own question... Yes. you can put in some of the hydrolic fluid during assembly. It saves a lot of bleeding time when it is already partially filled.
3. I had read in the past to use a hypodermic syringe (minus the needle) to fill the unit and bleed it. I used a dollar store condement bottle. It's much easier than filling the syringe 50 times....
Thank you to all that tried to help me. I will be back soon with my next dilemma ...

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
keep the turkey syringe injectors for grease. they make nice miniature grease guns for tight places .
just trim the needle tip square on the grinder .

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Success! motor raises up and lowers down with ease and not a drop of leaking fluid.
1. I would strongly suggest anyone attempting to do this to use OEM parts. All I gained was experiance disassembling and reassembling the unit by using cheap parts.
2. Answering my own question... Yes. you can put in some of the hydrolic fluid during assembly. It saves a lot of bleeding time when it is already partially filled.
3. I had read in the past to use a hypodermic syringe (minus the needle) to fill the unit and bleed it. I used a dollar store condement bottle. It's much easier than filling the syringe 50 times....
Thank you to all that tried to help me. I will be back soon with my next dilemma ...
I think everything you learned was cheap.....cheapest education you will ever buy.

As far as bleeding. Try doing it all after install and tell us which way you like.

Might be another cheap education!

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like working on cars or anything else, sometimes it's nerve racking. You guys make this a great place to have fun while you are learning and sharing ideas that make all of our lives easier.
Thanks again!