Tilt and Trim Leaking

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a 2017 115hp 4stroke outboard. When i trim the motor up on the water, it continually leaks down. There is no fluid leaking at all, just wont hold up when I trim it on the water. I can also trim it up in the garage and after awhile it will do the same. Took it to the dealer and they said it needs to be replaced, but they couldn't say what is wrong, they said they have not see that before.

I have trimmed it all the way up and used the manual release screw to drop it down multiple times, read that might clear some dirt or something but that did not fix it. Would it be worth flushing the fluid and filling it back up? Any other thoughts of what might fix it?

Can this easily be rebuilt with someone who has never done it (me) if that is needed? Also, SEI has a new complete trim for it for about half the price as OEM, would this be a good option?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. There was a warranty recall service bulletin about this. I’m sure. The needle valves were below par on the early couple of years on these. Countless had their whole trim pump replaced under warranty and some got an upgraded valve set to replace the defect original set. There was even a service procedure released to the authorised dealers I’m almost sure.
My 2016 had the same issue.

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. There was a warranty recall service bulletin about this. I’m sure. The needle valves were below par on the early couple of years on these. Countless had their whole trim pump replaced under warranty and some got an upgraded valve set to replace the defect original set. There was even a service procedure released to the authorised dealers I’m almost sure.
My 2016 had the same issue.
Thanks for the information. I contacted my dealer, they did a search under my model# and said that there is no recall, but the service bulletin indeed does exist. The kit to fix it would be $28, now I will wait for them to speak to their technician to see if this is a likely solution for my issue. I will report back with the final results, hope this helps someone else. QBhoy, if you have any additional information such a link to the service bulletin I would like to read it.