Tige common problems to look for

cdspanky

Cadet
I want to purchase a used Tige 2000 and up - 20'-22', V,2V, or I models. I have experience wth stern drives and out-boards but not with direct-drives or V-drives. Can anyone help me with some tech. tips on what to look for on these types of drives. Tige's generally come with Merc V, or direct drives.
Anyone know about Tige boats and what comon problems to look for?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Tige common problems to look for

i can only comment on Correct Craft BUT in general i prefer a mid engine shaft drive

I dont like the v-drive at all in a skiboat

Tommays

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Speaking generically::
Any V drive is an extra bit of maintenance and some complication to the system.I believe some V drives even require additional cooling.Direct drive has far less complication.Handling a direct drive or V drive is completely different than an I/O or out board.Steering in reverse is almost non existant.On some boats prop torque in reverse will pull the stern to port.Sharp turns at idle can sometimes require a lot of room or some control tricks.Generally the boat will turn sharper to port than starboard.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My buddy has a Tige 21 I ski/wakeboard boat. It is a good boat. I tend to do maintenance for him, the only mechanical problem he has had is the waterpump wasting itself because it is all plastic. I told him about a bronze replacement that should fix this persistant problem. this isn't really a Tige problem but a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI problem. It has a plastic water pump body with the impellor riding in it. Any stopage of flow of water due to weeds clogging the intake causes the housing to melt. This has happend twice on him so far.

He has also had some window trim issues on the windshield walk-through door, it fell apart. he may be too aggressive with the door though. The boat rides well, and does what it is intended to do. it has a large central trim tab that is deployed to cause a large wake for wakeboarding, and you retract it for hardcore slalom skiing.

And yes, because it is a true inboard boat, slow speed driving can be interesting. It does not handle like a thrust vectoring format such as I/O or outboard.

cdspanky

Cadet

tommays said:
i can only comment on Correct Craft BUT in general i prefer a mid engine shaft drive

Tommays

cdspanky

Cadet

tommays said:

Tommays

Thanks for the advice Tommays

cdspanky

Cadet

steelespike said:
Speaking generically::
Any V drive is an extra bit of maintenance and some complication to the system.I believe some V drives even require additional cooling.Direct drive has far less complication.Handling a direct drive or V drive is completely different than an I/O or out board.Steering in reverse is almost non existant.On some boats prop torque in reverse will pull the stern to port.Sharp turns at idle can sometimes require a lot of room or some control tricks.Generally the boat will turn sharper to port than starboard.

Spike,
Thanks for your reply and info

cdspanky

Cadet

JasonJ said:
My buddy has a Tige 21 I ski/wakeboard boat. It is a good boat. I tend to do maintenance for him, the only mechanical problem he has had is the waterpump wasting itself because it is all plastic. I told him about a bronze replacement that should fix this persistant problem. this isn't really a Tige problem but a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI problem. It has a plastic water pump body with the impellor riding in it. Any stopage of flow of water due to weeds clogging the intake causes the housing to melt. This has happend twice on him so far.

He has also had some window trim issues on the windshield walk-through door, it fell apart. he may be too aggressive with the door though. The boat rides well, and does what it is intended to do. it has a large central trim tab that is deployed to cause a large wake for wakeboarding, and you retract it for hardcore slalom skiing.

And yes, because it is a true inboard boat, slow speed driving can be interesting. It does not handle like a thrust vectoring format such as I/O or outboard.

cdspanky

Cadet

JasonJ said:

JasonJ,
Thanks for your help. What year is your buddy's Tige? Does the drive require any costly maintenance - seals/bearings etc?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is pretty general, but from what i've heard, if your primary focus is wakeboarding you'll be happier with a v-drive (all of the engine weight in the back of the boat contributes to a bigger, better wake). For waterskiing, straight inboard (just the opposite).

For general cruising/ playing, I/O or outboard, with tabs. Better gas mileage, faster (given comparable size engines).

Note that I'm no expert, just throwing out what I've heard in general....

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

His boat is an 01 or an 02 if I remember rightly. Other than the waterpump issue, he has had no drive problems at all. Inboard motor drivetrains are great, if they are maintained properly you do not have near the problem of I/O setups. The outdrive of an I/O boat is a nightmare of boots and seals and u-joints and gears. Inboards do not suffer, they are not as complicated. He has no leaks at all from the shaft seal where it passes through the hull.

salty87

Commander

you might want to check a wakeboarding site like wakeboarder.com

tige's had some fit and finish issues around the 97-00 time frame and some big tower problems around that time too.

do you know what kind of tower is on it? metcraft's are the ones to stay away from if i remember correctly.

cdspanky

Cadet

salty87 said:
you might want to check a wakeboarding site like wakeboarder.com

tige's had some fit and finish issues around the 97-00 time frame and some big tower problems around that time too.

do you know what kind of tower is on it? metcraft's are the ones to stay away from if i remember correctly.

Thanks you've been a great help!!! My family and I have just demo'd a 2004 22V, and having run a stern drive for the last 22 years, and amazed at how this boat handles. It is mint with only 78 hrs on it. Don't know what brand of tower (may be the bad brand), but if all goes well with the deal side she will be ours. This one is powered by a 340hp Chevy Vortech by Marine Power and already has the brass pump housing. Very glad to hear that the drive is less troublesome than an I/O. I have had my share of troubles with my old Merc 260.

Very appreciative for all resonses & Info
Spanky